GT6 Headlining

Mike T

Hi all

Looking round the GT6s at Stratford a few weeks ago most seemed to have a white headlining. My Mk3 has a black headlining that is not in great condition and the white headling seemed to make the interior a lot less gloomy. I was thinking of replacing the headlining over this winter but have never done one before. I understand it is a bit fiddly but has anyone got on tips on how to approach the job. Do I need to remove the windscreen?

Any guidance would be really helpful plus suggestions on best place to source a replacement.

Thanks

Mike

Mike,

Yes, very fiddly and the front of the lining fits under the windscreen rubber, which certainly puts me off doing it. Does the windscreen have to come out to do it? Another nightmare job! My liner is marked and stained, Pete Lewis said why don't I paint it? He recons that works quite well, I wonder if that's what's happened to yours? I've never seen a black one.

Doug

38 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Mike,

Yes, very fiddly and the front of the lining fits under the windscreen rubber, which certainly puts me off doing it. Does the windscreen have to come out to do it? Another nightmare job! My liner is marked and stained, Pete Lewis said why don't I paint it? He recons that works quite well, I wonder if that's what's happened to yours? I've never seen a black one.

Doug

The black headlining was standard on the MK2 GT6 - I suspect that a previous owner fitted a MK2 headlining to a MK3, as the MK3 had a white headlining as standard.

3 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Mike,

Doug

Painting works really well with the specific paint and you can even repair small splits and tears with a vinyl glue. I would only replace the lining if its gone brittle and is suffering multiple splits. Oh and a white lining does really brighten up things and I reckon you could even paint a black one but it might take a few coats to look good..... 

Thanks for the comments. Certainly sounds as if painting it is worth a try. If it doesn't work I am no worse off as I'd still be back to replacing the headlining. The current headlining is still pretty flexible. 

Do you have to do anything special in terms of preparing the surface?

Mike

well cleaning is essential but best to read the instructions and of course other surfaces need masking up. Its a thin liquid so I brush painted mine, which was a bit fiddly as it was largely upside down, and two coats were required (it was white to start with) but the result was excellent. If aerosols are all thats available now then it gets more complicated..... 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Pete Lewis said why don't I paint it? He recons that works quite well,

I have heard of folk using the white "stuff", that's for brightening up tennis shoes (don't know if it's still available, as maybe these days, folk bin them and buy a new pair, if they get a bit grubby).

Dave

Plastikote is not quite the same...

This is the closest I could find to the old Baseball boot cleaner that you applied through a circular sponge top... I still remember the smell of it. Is there a UK equivalent?

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Wholesale-Shoe-Cleaner-White-Shoe-White_50020367718.html

33 minutes ago, dave.vitesse said:

Yes Pete it was. That's the Headlining of this topic so the comment applies. 

Vinyl satin emulsion also works well.

But Doug, maybe not on the face.

Dave

Great until it rains... a man I know once bought an old box van and painted it white using household emulsion, he drove past me in the rain and I thought it was leaking milk running out of the rear. Unless you use one of those waterproof bathroom and kitchen emulsions?

13 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

Ive got a 400mtr roll of headliner,  not much use without a pattern

400 METRES?? You could headline the Royal Albert Hall, for goodness sake. (Led Zep are headlining Glastonbury 2020 but they didn't say what with.)

I'm working on a Herald hardtop that needs headlining once I've the fibreglass repairs finished, but I reckon two meters max will do it, and the benefit there is that I can take it off and turn it upside down. Sadly, Mike can't do that with his GT6, it would be so much easier.

• Haha 1