Vitesse MK2 Brise Alternator Connections

Iain T

10 hours ago, Spitfire6 said:

PS. My Son is called Ian. Keeping my name going. Hopefully, he will be plowing money into the family curse when I'm long dead. Wonder if he will understand how an alternator works?

Of course he will; it'll be a major component of the electric cars that only certain members of The Party will be allowed to drive.

Finally plugged everything in and fired up the engine, the warning light goes out when running so that looks ok and I tested the battery with an AVO meter and it was charging at 14.4 volts. Not quite sure what the volt test is that Brise do but mine gives off a healthy 14.4 volts. Haven't tried driving on the road as the weather has been rubbish but running the engine up stationary the Brise isn't rattling about like the year old ACR I bought from Rimmers. To be fair they gave me a refund but that's not the point.

So to summarise if your car has been converted to an alternator the only things you perhaps need to do to fit a Brise/Denso is run a cable from the 35 amp fused green (I used a piggy back connector) to the IGN terminal, plug in the warning light brown/yellow into the L terminal and buy a 16 or 25 mm2 cable from the B+ to the positive battery terminal. Don't know if this is true or false but it seems to have worked for me!

My parents wanted a name that couldn't be shortened so rumour has it when the doctor asked what are you going to call him they said Ian. As the doctor was a Scot he said why not spell it the Scottish way Iain and so it came to pass! I am not Scottish I was born in the Eastend of London! Some idiots have called me earwig or Eee and an American relative just couldn't get her head around the spelling and reverted to Iron...??? Don't get me started on electric cars, until some bright spark cracks nuclear fusion what's the point and you can't hear the things coming, give me the sound of an ERA at full chat any day.

Iain

9 minutes ago, Iain T said:

Don't get me started on electric cars, until some bright spark cracks nuclear fusion what's the point and you can't hear the things coming, give me the sound of an ERA at full chat any day.

Iain

Apparently some guy was arrested the other day following a chase in an electric car, which ended when it ran flat. He was later released without charge... but good to see you got the alternator running.

If you think Scots spelling of names is interesting, you should see some of the Irish names I've come across in my time...

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Apparently some guy was arrested the other day following a chase in an electric car, which ended when it ran flat. He was later released without charge.

Colin you've lifted this joke from the Joke section, it was posted last Saturday and you "liked" it. Do you not remember?!! :o

I used to work with a group of Russians who pronounced my name Dog. At least I thing they were mispronouncing. 

Doug

16 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Colin you've lifted this joke from the Joke section, it was posted last Saturday and you "liked" it. Do you not remember?!! :o

I used to work with a group of Russians who pronounced my name Dog. At least I thing they were mispronouncing. 

Doug

Yes, sorry. (plagiarism!!) I couldn't remember where I'd read it!! Age again... thanks Don.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Iain T said:

Colin, it was Oscar Wilde who wrote 'imitation is the sincerest form of flattery'.

Iron

Twas actually the venerable Roman Emperor Marcus Aurelius, what he said was:

"You should consider that Imitation is the most acceptable part of Worship, and that the Gods had much rather Mankind should Resemble, than Flatter them."

It was shortened by Caleb Colton in 1820 to it's current form in a book called "Many Things in a Few Words." Which is what I should really stick to!

Thanks, Lain.

Most impressed, you must be a scholar of the Arts or an avid Googler!

I forgot about Lain, it's all down to modern fonts, when I started school in 1960 we were handed a wooden stick then had to go to the teacher to get nibs. I was such a good boy I was made ink monitor! I was easily recognisable as the boy with permanently blue hands. If I didn't like someone I would water down their ink so much you couldn't read their writing. I also had a nasty streak.....

Lain

yup, cleaning out old bus tickets and such from the inkwells ,  lousy job later in senior school  in 2nd year ,   became a prefect and given a rough class made  any boy misbehaving to read out poetry in front of the class 

that used to shut them up ...ink monitor and nasty streaks come in useful    ha !

Pete

1 hour ago, Iain T said:

Most impressed, you must be a scholar of the Arts or an avid Googler!

The benefits of a Classic education (including Latin.... hated it!)

Or: I have a book of famous quotes on the shelf beside me, so had to have a sneaky peek! (A room without books is like a body without a soul - Cicero)

Oscar Wilde did say: 'Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.' He could have said: Use your own jokes, that one is already posted... :) but it was so good I remembered it, unlike most of the others I hear...

• Haha 1

Having just joined the forum a few weeks ago I thought it was going to be more oily rag and bad spelling than quoting Cicero! When I was at school I did read Homer's Odyssey and Iliad and once I got into the prose enjoyed them both. I also read Victor and Dandy when they arrived Saturday morning.....

Living in an apartment in London I do a lot of streaking, mainly when the booze cruises past by on the Thames banging out indecipherable noise/music at 110db. Not my problem if they look, they won't do it twice!

Iain (in deference to you all I am fully clothed while writing this thread)

• Haha 1

Yes I think we've gone a bit off piste. All I'll finally say is I am now on Silversea and Ponant's Thames cruise itineraries as a questionable example of mid 20th century English male.

I don't think I mentioned the whole reason for changing the alternator was to eliminate a vicious vibration shaking the car from around 26000rpm. A very good company called Vibration Free (no they don't sell intimate aids...but they do make Stirling crankshaft dampers) identified the alternator as the culprit! The new Brise seems to charging ok and no vibration...yippee. The year old Lucas ACR spins ok and the bearings appear fine so it must be down to a very badly out of balance armature. I suppose a small imbalance in the shaft spinning at 5000+rpm can and did shake the whole of the chassis.

Cheers to you all

Iain