Lidl welder

mpbarrett

Very cheap.

Not sure how it changes power, just seems to have a knob which I am assuming (and we know where that gets us) is for wire speed. 

The other thing is that some cheap welders seem to be AC output, so no rectification. May be a bit of an issue if that is the case.

Don't get me wrong, it may be a bargain. Guess you can take it back if hopeless. 120A is enough for chassis work on Triumphs.

That is a weird looking torch.  I assume it's a MIG that can only use the flux cored wire.  More like continuous stick-welding where the slag has to be chipped off after welding.  Ok-ish for basic repair work I suppose, but really, better to save up a bit more and buy a real one!

Nick

Google is your friend, as there are several videos online of this evice, or one very like it

This one is in French, and uses a more conventional torch.

It also features the same manufacturer's plasma cutter, which has the torch shown in the original link - so I assume a mistake by Lidl's advertising dept.!

As far as my French can tell, he approves of it, but as Nick says it produces slaggy welds that need cleaning up.

John

"Slaggy" welds?....  I use a SIP that can do both gas and gasless and there's very little difference between the finished weld in terms of cleaning up. 

A good thing about using a gas/gasless MIG is that you can put a gasless wire spool on and continue with the job, if you run out of gas and don't have spare bottle.

That Parkside one does look a bit Mickey Mouse.

I bought a cheap gas less welder from Lidl about 10 years ago. Found it very difficult to get decent welds. Went on a welding course, thinking this may help. Found it much easier using their kit. Took my welder in to see if tutor could use it ok. He couldn't, reckoned it was total crap.

Recently splashed out on an R Tech and didn't have the heart to try and sell the Lidl one on. 

just my experience 

Best buy a used good quality welder, cheap equipment will always give problems. You need the quality to be designed in from new and good MIG welder will last years. If you really want to push the boat out take a look at Miller or Fronius, we had those and Kemppi but were used all day long so quality and productivity were paramount.