1966 Mk2 Spitfire Sloppy Gear Lever

KevinB

Hi,

Having recently had a 1966 Mk2 Spitfire fully restored I've been able to take it for a test drive. One thing I've noticed is  that the gear lever is very "sloppy" all the gears are there and work fine but it's a case of "well the gear is there somewhere" ! ? Any ideas what the problem could be or what we have done wrong? Any advice most welcome.  Cheers, Kevin       

Yep, as Doug says (or at least implies) it's almost certainly the bushing at the bottom of the gearstick. Replacements are available but not the best quality. Look out, particularly, for burrs and rough edges on the pressed steel bits - they will eat through the new bush bits in no time.

• Thanks 1

yes remove the remote ,there  are two bushes one mid way and one on bottom of the stick , there are some changes in the bush over the years most kits have a selection to cover 

all possibles ,  there will be 2 0 rings  ignore these they fit in the ally hsg, and  oil seal the front short shaft  , dont  try to use them . leave the front shaft alone

you need the remote off as the middle bush pivot bolt is not easy to get a spanner on and the pivot bolt on the bottom of the stick only goes one way or you 

foul the case and the ]-[  becomes  ]-) 

just some clues 

many sell the kit  eg  http://www.jamespaddock.co.uk/gearchange-remote-bush-kit-2

https://www.canleyclassics.com/demoapp/?ptno=519770

pete

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, thescrapman said:

There is a part in the kit that you need to possibly discard and re-use the original.

is a metal cup that gets re-made with a sharp edge that then cuts and grinds away the new plastic ball.

DSCF4905.jpg.4d08aa6fc99bbcec5e532451fbbbd0e3.jpg

The big yellow cup washer centre left; some kits remake this in metal and it eats the other parts. If you can reuse the old one then it solves this problem and unless it's really worn won't make any difference to the refurbishment. All the other parts are self-explanatory; as you disassemble the rods one bit at a time you'll see where the replacement part goes.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

DSCF4905.jpg.4d08aa6fc99bbcec5e532451fbbbd0e3.jpg

The big yellow cup washer centre left; some kits remake this in metal and it eats the other parts.

In my experience it's the metal cap at the top of the photo. The kits leave a vicious burr on the inner edge which eats straight through the big yellow cup washer.

GearBushWrecker.jpg.f91e2c462d60b7231a3be4d638446a15.jpg

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, NonMember said:

In my experience it's the metal cap at the top of the photo. The kits leave a vicious burr on the inner edge which eats straight through the big yellow cup washer.

That's entirely possible, Rob... I remember photographing an older kit vs a new one to show the differing shapes, plus the fact that they've remade the nylon washer in metal so that the two parts grind off each other and obviously the softer part will suffer; I was blaming the wrong part. I disremembered why I had mixed and matched an old kit and a new...

...but my advice to Kevin is to try to find an old kit, if possible - they're still about, and are of better quality.

DSCF4906.jpg.0e671aa8231665aba89fba890102e50d.jpg

• Thanks 1

I've found out the hard way that it is important to doubly check that the spring washer is securely seated in its retaining groove in the gear lever when reassembling things. This washer holds down the smaller diameter spring if I remember correctly. If the washer slips from its groove and lets the spring press on the base of the nylon cup thingy it'll soon wear through and before you know it the tunnel has to come off again. I try to reuse the original spring washer because it seems to be a better fit in the groove.  

Wayne

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Waynebaby said:

I try to reuse the original spring washer because it seems to be a better fit in the groove.  

Wayne

If you look at the kit I've photographed you can see that the spring washer is just a standard one that you could buy anywhere. I think the originals have a different profile and certainly seem to grip the gearlever that much more securely. I too try to reuse where I can.

• Thanks 1