Testing overdrive

griffipaul

Thanks Roger,

It was given a clean bill of health by Overdrive guys in Nuneaton , 2 yrs ago , so just checking this and gb conversion from non o/d before it all goes back in.

Fingers crossed.

As an aside I camped behind you at CLM 2016 , knew your brother in law Derek and actually bumped into him at Castle Combe Autumn classic in October. It was nice to see him again after a while.

You going this year , ?

Hello Paul

No we are not doing Classic Le Mans this year (we have been 4 times!)

I went to Spa 6hours in September (been to the Classic 4times)and has spoilt me as the racing is so much better and there is no silly parades between races(waste of time!)

Plus the tickets were only £30(group discount £40 without) for the weekend and free classic parking and you can go anywhere around the circuit any stand and the pits.

I have been looking at going to Zandvoort or the old timers Germany

We are off to Spain in June for 2 weeks

Roger

ps Derek has gone over to the Dark side and bought a Volvo Amazon!  TR6 has gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pete

Just wanted to check o/d is engaging and disengaging and working properly before get in all back in and find something silly and its all got to come out again.

Set up is similar to Rogers except using a drill not a motor. 

Its hard work for the drill , surprised how much torque to drive.

G/b and o/d assembled together no option but to drive input shaft , why is this an issue.

Cheers

Paul

driving the coupling only rotates the mainshaft  inside the gear sets  in  neutral not all the gears as driving via the input shaft

so less torque required   and its the pump cam is all that needs to turn to pump the pressure to get the cone to shift 

i will look the test pressures up in the morning but dont feel a drill will be that constructive in real world 

Pete

Just seemed the easiest thing to do , and the engine drives the gearbox in real life . Got no means to drive output flange or measure pressure so was just looking to do a functional check that when engaged in 4th to maximise rotation speed ,output flange speeds up when solenoid engages.

Hello Paul

My Motor is 1/2hp and will turn the gearbox at 1400

Here you go for pressures I could lend you a gauge and adapter if you like?

A new "J" Type Overdrive Unit is currently being incorporated on the Triumph range of vehicles; consequently, the "A" and "D" Types will be discontinued. Incorporation of the "J" Type Unit was effective commencing with the following vehicle identification numbers:

Model

Vehicle Ident. #

Color

Number

Part #

Working Pressure

Stag

LE 20857

Yellow

510-540

TR-6

CF 1

Blue

430-460

Spitfire

Lilac

320-350

GT-6

Lt. Green

350-380

* - Estimated incorporation -- Late February, 1973

Hydraulic Pressure Test

When running in direct drive, a residual pressure of 20 lbs. per square inch maintains the overdrive unit in a primed condition and provides lubrication. When overdrive is selected, the hydraulic pressure is increased to within the figures quoted above,

To check the operating pressures:

1. Check that the gearbox oil level is correct.

2. Remove the hexagon headed plug adjacent to the solenoid and fit hydraulic pressure gauge L188A together with the adaptor L188A-2.

3. Jack up the rear wheels and run the transmission at approximately 25 m.p.h.

Note 1. When in direct drive the residual pressure reading should be approximately 20 lb./in.

Note 2. When the overdrive is engaged, the pressure should be as specified.

Interchageability Of Parts

"J" Type Overdrive parts are not interchangeable with those for "A" or "D" Type Units.

Roger

ps I set my pressure at 350/380 psi

Thanks Roger for you very kind offer but I don't think that's necessary.

I bought the o/d a couple of years back at a very good price complete with adaptors and right angle drive so I could afford a check up with Overdrive spares at rugby , who said It worked fine just a bit stuck from lack of use .

So all I needed to check was that I had done nothing silly in convering  the mainshaft ,  and reassembling it all . nothing worse than getting it all back in the car and its got to come out again for something daft , especially as this is the first time I 've done it .  Pete's advice has been invaluable along the way.

Gearbox works fine selects gears ok after rebuild , pump cam fitted and all reassembled back together .

so just checking for the obvious really. seems to work ok , output shaft speeds up when solenoid engages .

nothing wrong with trying , its just all work done by the gearbox comes from the prop end not the engine end

when testing a geabox you drive the coupling all the synchro is driven from here it has to spin the clutch disc up to or down to speed 

not the other way round as most think 

same reason the OD is pumped from the mainshaft not the input shaft the pump is in constant use when car is moving , the opposite is if you dipped the clutch on OD engagaes you would loose pressure if pumped from the engine end of the box as the clutch would be off drive and could even be stationary until the change happens .

Most automatics have the same as most are pumped from the prop drive end not the engine end if that helps the idea here 

Pete

early boxes had two brackets on for OD one opposite for reverse lamp switch, both bolt to the front of the top cover

Like the garage we had one lasted years till the top parted company with the base and found they used 3 " nails to assemble it 

the lift band stretched and in the end it was past recovery .  but lasted 20years 

Pete

the bracket had to be bent  " to suit " and the cam redrilled for it all to work … another example of simple parts not correct.

if you look carefully you can see that I have also put a screw  in the gearbocx breather hole . any views...…….. yes , no , necessary or  advised 

6 minutes ago, griffipaul said:

if you look carefully you can see that I have also put a screw  in the gearbocx breather hole . any views...…….. yes , no , necessary or  advised 

To block it off, or keep it clear? Diff uses a split pin to keep the breather hole open, that's what I'd use, but I'd be wary of closing it completely as it was once thought necessary. Having said that, one out of three gearboxes I refurbished recently (bearings and seals) had no breather in the top cover, so it was either unnecessary in earlier cars and added later, or else it was in the early cars, and then deleted from later ones - sadly the top covers were detached from the boxes long ago so no way of telling which.

A  whim of  heavy breathing ..................doesnt apply to triumphs   ...........   Erm !!!

like humans we have a number of vents some are less popular than others  

bit like the small holes inside the top cover to free oil trapped in the bore for the selector rod  . as they fill with oil and hydraulic to stop you selecting 

the hole is  also good for punching out the welch plugs 

just some waffle 

Pete

On 12 February 2020 at 12:27, griffipaul said:

I added it because a blanking rivet ( no longer available ) was listed in the spares manual o/d conversion kit , but logic of why to blank it when you add o/d defeats me. 

I read on another forum that leaving the top cover breather open when the OD has sufficient breathing for the gearbox and OD leads to excessive oil leakage. No idea if it's true! Mine has both and leaks a little from the top cover.

Gully