GT6 Chassis Protection

Hi,

I am midway through my complete resto of my 1973 GT6 MK3. 
I am planning to paint the chassis the same colour as the body (Mimosa Yellow) as I am under the impression this is how they were from factory.

What is the best sort of transparent protection I can use over the top of this (if necessary) whilst preserving the yellow topcoat (I was thinking lacquer or something similar).

I am keen to avoid underseal/waxoyl (this will obviously cover the mimosa yellow) other than injecting into the chassis box sections. The car won’t be drive as a daily runner so I think stone chips will be the biggest problem. However I want to be sensible as well so am open to whatever if it is the right thing.

Has anyone done similar where they have kept the chassis the same colour as the body and was the topcoat paint enough to keep it protected or would you advise something else?

Hope this makes sense

Thanks

Hi Pete - just search for Dinitrol or Waxoyl and you'll find all the other threads on the same topic. There's five or six that deal with chassis and underbody protection, and they usually come down to the same debate of Waxoyl V Dinitrol V Bilt Hamber.. :) 

If you just want to paint it, a good primer with stonechip on the leading edges works for me.

Another thought. Raptor, made by Upol, was originally marketed as a truck-bed liner. It is VERY tough, and can be tinted to match any colour by a paintshop. Or truckbed liner paint is also available as a clearcoat if you prefer. 

This would give the toughest finish....

Waxes etc are for rust protection, though the hard wax stuff I used on my spit is also very tough, Gets dirty though!

On 21/02/2020 at 11:42, dougbgt6 said:

Hi Pete,

We've been here before! Quite a few threads on painting the chassis, worth a search. My Mimosa GT6 was 5 years old when I bought it and the chassis was black paint.

Just a little thread drift, is your interior chestnut or black?

Doug.

Hi Doug, 

I was considering black as it would be a lot easier but I also wanted to try it body colour to see how it would go. 

the interior is chestnut but I will be redoing it all properly when I get to that stage. What is yours? 

2 hours ago, PeteW267 said:

I was considering black as it would be a lot easier but I also wanted to try it body colour to see how it would go. 

the interior is chestnut but I will be redoing it all properly when I get to that stage. What is yours?

Mine is chestnut, I'm told quite rare so I've tried to stick with it. However black would have been much easier and cheaper.

I had difficulty sourcing carpets, I found Coverdale who do chestnut, but only loose fit in wool, £££! It does look nice though. 

I got seat foams from Owen at Park Lane Classics and put my existing seat covers through the washing machine!  They came out OK, but I've just replaced them with chestnut vinyl, again from Park Lane. 

I haven't got around to the door panels yet, chestnut is out there, but not quite as the original. 

Doug