fuse box

Ziggy

1972 mk4 spitfire, bought a new fuse box but cant get the old wires out of the old box, how do you do that?  the new box seems to have slightly different connections as well.  Do I just cut them and maybe solder them on?

Last time I looked for a GT6 MK1 fuse box, the same three-fuse type, all of the second-hand boxes for sale had the wiring still attached and looked to have been cut out of the loom. It's possible the fusebox connectors are one-piece and so each terminal in the fuse box has the cable crimped into it, and not attached via a spade connector. I can't get at mine to check, but found this one on the net that might support that.

box.jpg.eb50c3c3a7a6b031da45f595c06c596f.jpg

Agree with upgraded blade fuse box . I upgraded my Vitesse.  I learnt loads about the system and, even got a couple of spare slots . Before this I had never played with auto electrics . At times it was a tad frustrating but there’s loads of help here . I’ve added spots, relays , upgraded heater blower, radio , lighter socket, heated seats, rear fog , reversing light , electric washers, repaired horn wiring as it was originally operated by a separate push button , replaced damaged wiring , upgraded to alternator 

Paul 

On 05/03/2020 at 14:30, Ziggy said:

1972 mk4 spitfire, bought a new fuse box but cant get the old wires out of the old box, how do you do that?  the new box seems to have slightly different connections as well.  Do I just cut them and maybe solder them on?

Assuming it's running the original, standard fuse box then the wires crimp diretly on to the fuse contacts so you have two options.

1. Cut the wires as close to the fuse box as you can, then crimp on to the new fuse box blades.
  2. Accept that you're junking the old fuse box anyway and get physical with it till the connectors come free, still on their wires.  They should then slot straight in to the slots in the new fuse box.

Personally I went route 2 the two times I've done it (it's REALLY hard to compress a new foam seal to get the new fuse box to clip in to the bulkhead...and really easy to snap the clips on the new fuse box...).