Vitesse 1600 exhaust

Bobtaylor

on my Vit6 i had a pheonix 631 manifold and 2" pipes this came with the twin wheel barrow handles which had no song , more like a hair drier

what we refitted was a  club  herald/vit6 semi sports single from its previous fit which slotted inside the pipe and this made a exhaust to die for 

crisp , clean , you can hear it coming but had a song and warble that was just ....music 

cmjuly.jpg

Bob,

I bought a club shop S/S exhaust, they are made by Bell and good quality. My previous exhaust was, I think, bought from Rimmers 30 years ago. Contrary to what they claim S/S don't last for ever, the S/S is OK, but the welds and baffles corrode/fail. Keep your receipt!

I advise going to listen to the various formats before you buy. Sports sound great, for a while, but are LOUD! Some semis sports are louder than full sport.  I bought standard, plenty loud enough for me and still frightens the neighbours.

Doug

Do the club shop / Bells standard systems still include the silencer between the chassis rails that none of the other suppliers seem to think necessary? I'm just wondering whether that might help quieten my excessively loud standard system on the Spitfire.

Rob,

Yes!

Well, it did when I bought it, 2 years ago. One of East Berks was keen to get my old centre box, sadly it's welds were as rotten as the rest. However he seemed to think it would quieten down his sports system.

I think the centre box is only on the GT6 and Vitesse not the Spitfire.

I would guess that if you have a standard system you're in the same boat as I was, baffles and welds shot! My old standard system had become extremely loud.

Doug

Hi Bob

I bought a SS exhaust for my 13/60 Herald from the club shop and it fitted perfectly and the quality is second to none.  The only problem is i find myself polish the exhaust along with the rest of the car (Is there a cure for this)   

Andrew

12 minutes ago, Andrew said:

The only problem is i find myself polish the exhaust along with the rest of the car (Is there a cure for this)   

Andrew

If you mean the back box, then I've just polished mine, refitted after body work and it was too dirty not to take the chance to clean it up.

If you mean the entire exhaust from front to back... you need a cure. Quickly.

The twin pipe/box set-up is the sports exhaust system. You can fit it with or without the tubular manifold. The semi-sports is a single pipe/box at the rear which can also be fitted with or without the tubular manifold.

The systems sold by the club are made by Bells of Swindon and have a reputation for good quality.

Dave   

2 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

I think the centre box is only on the GT6 and Vitesse not the Spitfire.

I thought the Spitfire had one, too, but in any case my exhaust was sold as "Mk1 GT6" the better to mate with the tubular manifold.

2 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

I would guess that if you have a standard system you're in the same boat as I was, baffles and welds shot!

I hope not - the car's only covered a couple of hundred miles since the exhaust was brand new!

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Bobtaylor said:

Pete, thanks for you reply. Can you tell me what car your seats came from? I am thinking of updating mine. I am wrestling with keeping it original v practicality and comfort.

Bob

I’ve done the same mod with MGF seats , and am local if you wanted to check them , mine also has heated seats 

Paul 864199C1-D82D-4AA1-AC5E-039A9D6803B2.thumb.jpeg.eb5060131ff80f7488a65f006a7f3dbb.jpeg

there a number of posts either using the orig runners and using mgf slides and a  backrest tilt idea

theres more room to fit alternative seats in a saloon its width is restricted a bit in a convertible  

some use MX5  seats but MGF seems the best fit most popular 

Pete

5 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Or is there something else? 

"Black flash and Vitesse front give the Herald huge road presence"....

Does this mean that they believe either this car is a Herald with a Vitesse front end, or else the entire Vitesse range was just a Herald with souped-up bits added rather than a car in its' own right?

I used to get the same with the GT6.. "It's a modified Spitfire..."