Supply of Parts During Lockdown

Nigel Clark

Prompted by Colin's Lindsay's remark about difficulty getting parts in the Vitesse radiator thread today, I wondered how we're all getting on. I've recently been building a store of parts to see me through the next 3 months, so I can play in my garage until with any luck coronavirus restrictions are lifted.

My recent experience is as follows:

- Rimmer Bros are still shipping web and phone orders very much as normal, I received a parcel of parts via UPS yesterday.

- TRGB are closed to visitors but still shipping web orders.

- Newton Commercial shipped as many outstanding orders as possible then shut down last week.

- Frost Restoration shipped an online order I made on Friday, arrived yesterday.

- Chris Witor is shipping web orders as normal.

- Several eBay traders have sent me packages via Royal Mail, arriving yesterday and today.

- TSSC Club Shop is closed until further notice and staff are working from home to provide other club services.

How is everyone else getting on with obtaining parts?

Nigel

From my own perspective James Paddock are doing sterling work as usual, so no problems there; but it's the eBay sellers who are falling down.

I ordered a pot of paint ten days ago, still waiting on the 'delivery by 27th March' part of the deal - they e-mailed me yesterday to tell me my order had been processed. Still waiting on fifteen glass fuses ordered on March 24th, but clothing bought from J D Williams on Sunday arrived on Monday, less than 24 hours later, so it doesn't seem to be the fault of the delivery services.

Closer to home, I need glass cut for the sandblast cabinet, plus blasting medium - can't have either delivered - but can't get to the suppliers! The glass cutter is only three miles away, too. Can't get to the Engineering Works either to use their lathes to skim brake discs, I might contaminate the father-in-law.

As for Newton Commercial... well I cancelled the order when the final price came up in my shopping basket:

970392001_ScreenShot2020-03-23at11_58_14.jpg.8e1dc508ff99b2abc3d758ac9c04e8c7.jpg

Paddocks posted the same straps (£5 cheaper, too) to me for less than a fiver... so it pays to shop around. I need quite a few rubber grommets and more steering column bushes so will give Paddocks another order later today.

Some of the larger carrier companies are now putting surcharges on top of the normal shipping charges to certain countries (USA for instance), and they are not willing to ship to some others at all (New Zealand for example).  

That shouldn't include Suffolk though Colin!

Other than that we don't seem to be encountering any other shipping problems.

The major problem is going to be longer term as the UK manufacturers, machine shops, etc close down, and stocks run down as a result. We are already finding certain shortages even at this early time, so expect longer term gaps in availability . 

As a major supplier into the trade we are already finding that they are ordering larger quantities from us in anticipation of an extended shut down.

27 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

From my own perspective James Paddock are doing sterling work as usual, so no problems there; but it's the eBay sellers who are falling down.

I ordered a pot of paint ten days ago, still waiting on the 'delivery by 27th March' part of the deal - they e-mailed me yesterday to tell me my order had been processed. Still waiting on fifteen glass fuses ordered on March 24th, but clothing bought from J D Williams on Sunday arrived on Monday, less than 24 hours later, so it doesn't seem to be the fault of the delivery services.

Closer to home, I need glass cut for the sandblast cabinet, plus blasting medium - can't have either delivered - but can't get to the suppliers! The glass cutter is only three miles away, too. Can't get to the Engineering Works either to use their lathes to skim brake discs, I might contaminate the father-in-law.

As for Newton Commercial... well I cancelled the order when the final price came up in my shopping basket:

970392001_ScreenShot2020-03-23at11_58_14.jpg.8e1dc508ff99b2abc3d758ac9c04e8c7.jpg

Paddocks posted the same straps (£5 cheaper, too) to me for less than a fiver... so it pays to shop around. I need quite a few rubber grommets and more steering column bushes so will give Paddocks another order later today.

That shipping charge looks very high, really steep for a Northern Ireland surcharge I would think. Could there have been a mistake?

Nigel

31 minutes ago, Nigel Clark said:

That shipping charge looks very high, really steep for a Northern Ireland surcharge I would think. Could there have been a mistake?

Nigel

Very steep for five rubber straps that fitted in a padded Jiffy bag; furthermore Paddocks also sent me a bellhousing fitting kit, nuts and bolts, in the same bag, so it wasn't weight related. It's amazing to think that a few weeks ago (not now, for some reason!) I could have taken a return flight for £33 and picked the items up, myself... but it's one of the things I look for particularly from eBay sellers: free UK postage, and amazingly only one has ever queried it, and tried to increase the price, in all the years I've been buying things.

43 minutes ago, Rabbit said:

Well, I think you have been royally ripped off. I have just sent by Royal Mail, a parcel to N Ireland weighing just under 2kg for the princely sum of £3.50! BARGAIN.

ME???? Not a chance, Rabbit - once bitten, and that was long ago. Too much Scots blood in me to throw money away. As I've said, Newton didn't get the order and Paddocks did; probably the reason they get most of my orders this weather. I sent three wiper motors to Newark last week for £12 all wrapped in bubble wrap in a shoe box and they must have weighed twenty times the weight of five rubber straps. The woman in the Post Office knows me too well, we had a lengthy discussion about free car tax a while back which I mentioned somewhere on the forum, and she lets quite a queue build up while she finds the cheapest and best option. I think she takes pity on the grey hair...

HI

Just about to start on the Front Bonnet Wings. In reality it would be quick, to get panels sent. But I suspect I will Make formers and fabricate my own, as I still have half a sheet of steel "in House".

Lower wing front repair LH and RH are likely the more complex. The Inner wing(s) will likely need sections too. I have an order in for 40 grit flap wheels which (I hope )  will turn up soon!. (stop press, E-Mails says Posted!) As too 5 Litre of paint stripper. And some Body filler. (to cover my "strong but ugly" welding)!. Sections around the front Side lights need some work too, but thankfully most of it is flat section. If all else fails I will start by cleaning the Gearbox which has been stood out side under a tarp for 3 years! followed by a clean-up of the engine. Lots of other bits to clean and paint, but the biggy IS the bodywork.

Pete 

Some companies (Paddocks) can ship to me in 24 hours, which is amazing for a fiver. My glass fuses from eBay arrived, took eight days, and the paint I ordered on March 20th is still 'being processed', but it's free carriage which for a litre of paint is quite good value - heavy stuff in a tin. (Maybe should have gone for 'Light Brown', it would save postage?? :) )

I've another order for steering rack parts and assorted rubber seals for later this morning and I'll expect them from Paddocks by Saturday at the latest.