Fuel coming out of carb mouths

brian GT6.

I've just replaced all the fuel hose in the gt6 with nice club sourced ethanol resistant stuff. Just started her up and there was a flood of fuel coming out of the bottom of the standard air filter. Nothing coming out of the new hoses. I tried tapping the side of the carbs in case it was sticking needles in the float chambers. I've never taken Stromberg's apart so any suggestions for diagnosis and fix?

The dread rubber slivers!! :o When you push the metal work into the rubber pipe, tiny bits of rubber are inclined to come off the inside of the pipe and lodge in the reservoir inlets valves, wedging them open and overflowing the reservoir. You can get the reservoir off the carb in situ and get at the valves to clear them up.

I've had this happen, cleaned up the valves put it back together then almost immediately it happened again. I have a fuel filter before the pump and I have thought a second one just before the carbs might prevent this, but it hasn't happened again so I haven't done it. :)

Doug 

• Thanks 1

yes you can get the float bowls off On Car , if you have a bad back and use varifocals its more of the challenge and if the side screens are fitted to the bay then more to hinder the 

job.

the slivers are crafty ,the float about in the supply line from pump to carbs and when your not looking jam in the back of the float needle valve you do need to remove the valve ans flush a few squirts of fuel into a jam jar , there are 3 long and 3 short screws hold the bowl on.   then unclip the float,  note which way up it fits as some will fit upside down these have two float arms on,  then unscrew the float valve and look in its entry port , , now it a out do the flush by priming the pump a few strokes

good site for clues https://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/carburetors   ignor this is aimed at TR the basics are the same 

let us know how you get on and if you find any tiddlers 

Pete

• Thanks 1

I have had this problem after replacing fuel pipes and yes I took the carb of removed the needle   valve and yes there they were slivers of rubber blue it all out and replaced and all is well. I was a sceptic on the slivers issue until I saw them 

Andrew

29 minutes ago, daverclasper said:

then used a bit of vaseline on the end

Always handy

I thought there were 5 screws not 6? Still better to think more than less, one of ours wreaked a carb by taking out 4 and levering the bowl off! 

Doug

and another hic up the bowl gaskets change as the years evolve,  you often get a selection box in the refurb kits dont be surprised if you fit a new gasket and get a leaker

where the corner profiles have changed and the gasket leaves small areas open to leaks 

pete

Taken the float bowl off the carb that had petrol pouring out. It was the one furthest fromthe fuel intake at the gearbox end so it might have been slivers from the hose between the two carbs. There were some black bit in the fuel bowl.  The cut off pin was also stuck. As soon as I pulled it it started moving freely. When I pushed it up it cut off fuel from me fiddling with the pump and when I let go fuel poured out. If I put it back together again is it likely to get stuck again? It seems to move freely now. Can you buy replacements?

Any I'll let all the petrol dry up put it back together tomorrow and give it a lash.

Yes the metering units are on Rimmers for around £6 each. However, it may be that your pin was jammed open by a sliver and pushing the pin back has just moved the sliver back into the pipe. When it happened to me I unscrewed the valve and flushed some fuel through into a jam jar to ensure anything in the pipe came out. You can do this by disconnecting the ignition and turning the engine over holding the jam jar under the carb.

Doug

Pete,

No long arms required! Carbs and starter motor on the same side of the engine on a GT6.  I disconnected the coil, so no spark, you don’t want the engine starting up! Then jump lead to battery in left hand, jam jar in right under the carb and tickle the starter motor with the jump lead. Petrol squirts into jam jar. I think that’s how I did it.

Doug 

Yes, that would work, or a safer idea would be to gaffer tape the jam jar to the bottom of the carb and turn over on the ignition switch. I don't often have the luxury of a helper so I have to figure out how to do things single handed.

Doug