Any problems using 15 year old cellulose paint?

blubayou

Spraying primer & then top coat on a newly fettled front corner valance using brand new sealed paint stored in various places at different temperatures over the years.

Good starting point as the finish is not crucial down there.

I take if it goes on ok it will be ok in the longer term?

Thanks in advance.

Well.... not really. Even in a sealed tin the paint does go off, and while it may seem to "go on OK" it can wrinkle or even flake after a few months. You may get away with it - the left-over paint from my Vitesse's restoration was about 15 years old but had been opened when I used it to touch up the door and it's still on there but a bit crazed.

2 hours ago, blubayou said:

Spraying primer & then top coat on a newly fettled front corner valance using brand new sealed paint stored in various places at different temperatures over the years.

Good starting point as the finish is not crucial down there.

I take if it goes on ok it will be ok in the longer term?

Thanks in advance.

If it's celly? I have used ten year old paint without any problem but it was put into aerosol's got a good finish as well. But as Mark say's it could craze..... Worth a try though.

Tony.

Ok, thanks Guys,

I've used it anyway as I've got nothing to lose apart from a can of thinners.

The primer / filler went on a treat, so well I moved on to the top coat.

An absolute breeze in this lovely weather.

Will leave to harden as I have some runs on the arch edge.

Val01.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Poppyman,

I thought I may need to use extra thinners if it had all thickened up or something, but it seemed fine on opening the cans so sprayed it 50/50.

As Nonmember says, it may not last so I won't try my bootlid yet!

Well it came out quite well. It does look a little lighter than the old panel, could this be due to stored paint ageing or old paint darkening?

I suppose it could be just badly mixed or just fresher. Or lots of things.

I'll put it on the car & see how it looks.

Val02.jpg

If the paint has been stored in dry warmish conditions there will be no problem with the paint  I replaced a rear wing on a midget I painted in 1998  with the same leftover paint matched perfectly no problems, paint was around 20 years old

Did a scooter earlier in the year with the same paint I did one around 5 years ago, same no problems, decent paint though

Hi Paul,

I don't actually have any at the moment & tennis elbow means it's not likely now.

I've used 'Farcella' in the past, but the bulk of the work is letting it dry hard then rubbing out the runs with 800 down to 1600 wet paper.

Anyone tried a low cost polishing machine with success? 

7 minutes ago, blubayou said:

Hi Paul,

I don't actually have any at the moment & tennis elbow means it's not likely now.

I've used 'Farcella' in the past, but the bulk of the work is letting it dry hard then rubbing out the runs with 800 down to 1600 wet paper.

Anyone tried a low cost polishing machine with success? 

I’ll let you know as recently purchased one from Aldi cost £40 

https://www.aldi.co.uk/car-polisher/p/010847253266500

Paul