New loom, hollow bullets

rulloyd

Hello - another question!

The new loom for my GT6 Mk2 has wire tails to connect to original hollow bullets - because of course all the lights use these type of connectors.

Is it recommended to use this old style of hollow bullet (i.e simply folding the loose wire around the bullet) or should I solder them or perhaps use a modern crimped bullet instead?

Many thanks for any advice.

Rich

and suggest once  the bullet is assembled   in the connector a good dose of oily inhibitor is  added to reduce any future corrosion 

back in the 60/70s truck wiring used to corrode badly and we tried a lot ended up with a squirt of Tectyl 506 ( or similar) to solve terminals dropping off

Pete

• Like 1

Indeed Pete.

Over the decades this is what happens to the connectors - they become brittle causing the obvious problems.

Regards.

Richard.

DSC00952.JPG

If you mean the early style hollow bullet as opposed to the later crimp; these were intended to just have the strands folded back.

Soldering may make you feel better but creats a weak point at the point where the solder wicking into thr cable ends, that's where it will break eventually.

The key is moisture proofing.

David

Nice picture here:-

https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/mobile/product/709/category/6

4 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

the factory harness bullets where fixed not folded ,, the  hollow / folded is a aftermarket  fix /repair bullet 

take care with solder   some flux can aggravate corrosion   

Pete

Interesting - none of the glands were fixed on my cars loom 😨

You'd think they would include then in the new harnesses (the cable ends are not wired) whereas they are (to spades) for the Mk3 (I was supplied one in error first), both autosparks.

Hmm.  Yes, all th modern connectors seem to be a different diameter to the original (4.6mm).  The type of bullet you show is avalable at 4.7mm diameter (from AES anway).  The crimped connector in the picture i posted is only 3.9mm.

18 minutes ago, rulloyd said:

Hmm.  Yes, all th modern connectors seem to be a different diameter to the original (4.6mm).  The type of bullet you show is avalable at 4.7mm diameter (from AES anway).  The crimped connector in the picture i posted is only 3.9mm.

I think the one you posted is called a japanese bullet; there are many different styles and critically sizes!!!

And I've seen many unfortunate wiring incidents where someone has tried to fit the wrong one and used pliers to squash the mating half down to make it fit.

David

image20200603_154014771.jpg

6 minutes ago, mpbarrett said:

You can buy a decent crimp tool. Well it does a decent crimp to the wire but you have to make sure you have squeezed it all the way, its not like a racket crimp tool!

I have been using it on the Herald and it makes very good connections.

See https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/crimping-tool-for-lucas-terminals

Mike

What bullets are you using Mike?

That's the style I have on the MK1 GT6 rear lights; the loom came from Autosparks back about 2001 and I think they were soldered on.

image20200603_154014771.thumb.jpg.974e42a1dd3ecb868cfde5267796a31d.jpg.ca86100c63a118f4c8324632cf7b0c41.jpg

They just fit into a curled metal contact which will expand round larger bullets or can be tightened (gently!) for smaller.

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

the factory harness bullets where fixed not folded ,, the  hollow / folded is a aftermarket  fix /repair bullet

Not true of rear lights on roundtail Spitfire and GT6. Or the front indicators on Mk1/2 Spitfire / Mk1 GT6. They all used the style Colin posted.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

That's the style I have on the MK1 GT6 rear lights; the loom came from Autosparks back about 2001 and I think they were soldered on.

They just fit into a curled metal contact which will expand round larger bullets or can be tightened (gently!) for smaller.

Interesting.  Mine came from autosparks but withoutteh terminals which is why I'm trying to work out what to use! 

4 minutes ago, NonMember said:

Not true of rear lights on roundtail Spitfire and GT6. Or the front indicators on Mk1/2 Spitfire / Mk1 GT6. They all used the style Colin posted.

I think you are right as all mine were folder wire.  I think I will but teh original hollow type and fold them.  Should last 30 years or so!!

I have a jar full of solder connectors I have pulled off looms over the years and I reuse them.
Use my high temp hot air gun to melt the solder and pull the old wire out.
Presolder the new wire getting the solder well into the strands then fill the connector with solder by sticking the tip of the iron into the end of the connector and feeding solder in from the cable end.
When solder is nice and hot and dripping on my toes poke presoldered wire in.

Jobs a goodun!

• Like 1