GT6 Engine Valance

rulloyd

This has undoubtadly come up before (but my searching ability was unable to unearth anything, apologies).

Does anyone have a view on the difference engine valances avalable.  The ones I know about are:

TSSC shop:  Stainless steel, Powder coated.  £65/pair (as per the Parts & accessories mag April 2020).  Not showing online.

TSSC shop: https://shop.tssc.org.uk/product/gt6-engine-valences-pair  These ones have louvres? No idea what they are made from.  £80/pair

Rimmers:  https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-910045  One shown, £72 each.  No idea what they are made from. (I wonder if this is the Newton product below)

Newton Commercail: https://newtoncomm.co.uk/products/gt6-mk-1-2-3-right-hand-engine-valance-panel  One shown here.  Made fom Bitumen board  £79 each

I know some people make their own, but I don't have time for that at the moment (albeit a nice little project I'm sure)

On the face of it the TSSC versions are half the price.  Half as good???  Any experience / views appreciated.

Probably sensible to buy the rad cowling also - from what I've read.

Many thanks

Rich

I've had the very first, prototype TSSC engine bay valences on my GT6 for over 10 years. They are louvered and made of alloy sheet.

They fit fine and have lasted well but I don't know how they compare to the club's current valences.

I would really recommend metal valences, whether stainless or alloy, since the board ones inevitably deteriorate as soon as they get wet. Louvres are merely a fashion statement, and won't do anything for cooling!

Nigel

4 minutes ago, Nigel Clark said:

I've had the very first, prototype TSSC engine bay valences on my GT6 for over 10 years. They are louvered and made of alloy sheet.

They fit fine and have lasted well but I don't know how they compare to the club's current valences.

I would really recommend metal valences, whether stainless or alloy, since the board ones inevitably deteriorate as soon as they get wet. Louvres are merely a fashion statement, and won't do anything for cooling!

Nigel

I bought TSSC side valences and cowl in about 2001 and they're good for years yet. I was feeling inferior in later years when the louvred versions came out so bought add-on louvres at an autojumble, but never fitted them...

E01D65EB-16A6-4F6E-B559-5BA5928D0194_1_105_c.jpg.6e532e293ccd97d9335652bba7b16d1c.jpg

That Rimmers version looks to be painted card with a reinforced metal strip, as per the original.

I tried to buy a set from the club shop, but they only had the side valences due to there being a problem with the radiator valence. Apparently they were splitting down the seam due to vibration.

This has been overcome by the introduction of the stainless versions.

However I went ahead and bought the club shop sides and the front from Moss. The side panels were not a good fit and required cutting and bracing.

The standard air filter box was too deep and I had to cut a 1” strip off the top of the panel an re-enforce it. This is unseen under the box so not a problem. The other side was too deep and couldn’t be attached by the provided fixing holes. Again not noticeable unless pointed out.

The front is still OK and no splits yet, I’m told  it can be repaired fairly invisibly if required.

The radiator valence is a good upgrade and directs the airflow onto the radiator, unlike the old sagging cardboard thing. 
The side valences don’t do very much except look pretty, particularly with louvres! 😊

Doug

How adaptable are the Vitesse (Mk2) valences to a GT6 I assume there basically the same except for the front connection to the radiator ie in front of the return bend and the chassis mounting arm/bracket. even the GT6 rad looks similar to a Vitesse in width and height.

The Vitesse ones are all steel complete with the louvres whether effective or not they look good! 

Peter,

The GT6 radiator is very narrow to allow it to drop between the chassis rails which in turn allows it to be tall. And then it has to be deep to get the necessary volume.

So not the same shape as a Vitesse radiator at all! 😆

After the trouble I had with the right version for the GT6 I would recommend getting the right one for your car. They do look good, you won’t be disappointed.

Doug

14 hours ago, rulloyd said:

I know some people make their own, but I don't have time for that at the moment (albeit a nice little project I'm sure)

Many thanks

Rich

I made some for my Vitesse from stainless as nobody makes them, looking at the cost of a set from the club for a GT6 probably cheaper than making your own, let alone the time.

Regards

Paul

I found these GT6 splash Guards plans in my records don't know where they came & unfortunately there dimensionless, & I don't know what the source code refers to, but someone may find them useful.

I do have a dimensioned up Spitfire one which maybe of use for the Turret cut out and length to bulkhead.

GT6_MKIII_Splash_Engine_Shields.jpg

Dimensions of the Offside (Exhaust) Splashguard.jpg