GT6 Mk2 Tyre choice

rulloyd

I know ths has been done to death but I am still confused - apologies...

I have standard 4.5J steel Rims.  Original tyres 155R-80-13 I believe. Mk2 GT6 (rotoflex)

What is a good sized tyre where there is no risk of scraping the bulkhead at full lock please?

I think I understand that the 155's are no longer available?  175/70/13 seem to be the popular choice (but the bulkhead??)

I did see a thread which recommended a different size for a Mk2 to a Mk3 but now I can't find it.

Much appreciated.

Rich

Rich,

I use 165/70/13 on my Vitesse with no issues - accept slightly different vehicles under the wheel arch but  a decent compromise between 55 and 75. Plenty of choice and good prices; I use Dunlop Street Response 2.

Regards.

Richard.

Thanks all.  Whats favoured, 155, 165 or 175.   (I'm thinking the answer is personal choice).  Do 175's or 165's catch the bulk head at full lock?

5 hours ago, classiclife said:

Richard - "accept slightly different vehicles under the wheel arch" wot yer mean exactly?

I’ve got 175/70 r13 on 5” steels on my Roto Mk3. No catching on arches. Going to 5.5” steels on the rear (same tyres), still plenty of room. Later swing axle cars have 2” more track so tighter at the rear.

Nick

should also say.... front has 330lb 10” springs so lowered too.

3 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

I’ve got 175/70 r13 on 5” steels on my Roto Mk3. No catching on arches. Going to 5.5” steels on the rear (same tyres), still plenty of room. Later swing axle cars have 2” more track so tighter at the rear.

Nick

should also say.... front has 330lb 10” springs so lowered too.

Will 175/70 fit 4.5 rims? If they do, is it a good idea anyway - probably right on teh limit.  Do the 175's clear the  bulkhead at full lock (tends to be the problem rather than the arches).  I was getting scrub on the bulkhead even with 155's - but thats another (long) story, now concluded (I hope).😉

Why would I have heard that Mk2's benefit from 155's but Mk3's 175's?

Obviously appreciate that there is no need to use full lock, but one small mistake and my shiny new pain is ruined.

Thanks for all the advice.

Rich

Yes they will fit on 4.5 rims, I have some here.

Whether they rub or not depends more on the individual car. On my vitesse (175/70 on 5 1/2 rims) one side rubbed and the other didn't. Rectified with a large hammer.

No idea on why you have heard about mk2 v mk3, except the mk3 has slightly wider wheelarches. Or at least it looks like it (I have an early and late spit, the late car the wheels look more inset. Both cars have rotoflex/CV rear ends so identical from that perspective)

As to tyre availability, you will be looking for 155 80 13 these days. I think originals were 155 82 13? so near enough identical.Plenty to choose from, ranging from Chinese ditchfinders through quality premium brands, and at the top end pricewise the Michelan XAS (but you can get a set of 4 modern  michelins for the price of a single XAS!)

155 or 165 width is ideal for a 4.5J Rim?

I had 175/70 Uniroyal Rain experts on 5.5J rims on my old Vitesse.

They looked good, worked well in the Wet or dry and the steering was manageable if a bit heavy when parking, but fine when up to speed?

Rich, 155/80R13 will be the original size radial and give the authentic "biscuit wheel" look. 175/70R13 are significantly wider and damn near identical diameter. I would be careful of 165/70 as this will be a smaller diameter and may not "fill" the arches, spoiling the look of the car. However, 165/80 will be slightly larger diameter and may well be close to the original cross-ply tyre originally spec'ed for the GT6. Anyone remember the OE cross-ply size?

Cheers, Richard

Thanks NM. That would be 5.2 inches, or 132mm. I see Longstone say a Dunlop would be 140mm and Camac 135mm wide while inflated diameters are 579mm/584mm. If my maths is correct, a 155/80R13 would have a diameter of 578mm. If so then I was wrong, the cross-ply would not have been a significantly larger size.

Cheers, Richard