Clever and honest person required

Mark Seniac

Ah, right, yes. Although I thought the breather system was changed from the start of Mk1 production, not at the HC4500 major engine re-work. Certainly mine had the closed breather on an early engine (HC932HE) with a blanking plate over the hole for the 1600-style open one. But with the OP's having had a manifold swap for SUs, that's not reliable either.

On 11/07/2020 at 10:16, dougbgt6 said:

I know a bit about Strombergs, there are only 3 needles

Doug,

I spoke to Burlen last year and they said they have lots of needles for Strombergs. I bought a non standard pair earlier this year (pre lockdown so can't remember what but I think around 60 thou at bottom on recommendation by Chris Witor) and as DPD kindly delivered an AEM afr on Friday I'll be testing which one's work best. The Burlen website is er erm 'difficult'? I had to phone them and they talked me through how to access all the needles and the charts!

Iain

Hi all

I’m amazed at all the answers I have received concerning the vitesse and very proud of the fact you all pull together there is a wealth of knowledge out there and I’m thankful I belong to a team such as this .....

I’ll try and answer a few concerns/queries some of you have .

1 engine number per pic should clear a few regarding cc.. 

2 carbs are numbered aud 543f apparently 1.8 marina!!!? 
ive owned the car since sept last year all was fine until a month ago when I had the problem first appear loss of power then wouldn’t start fuel seeping out of top of float chamber see vid ... I 3C6403AD-9514-4536-88D4-C95D9F1EA835.thumb.jpeg.b9b1fd3cf05ac6a0a98b378bdf724a9b.jpeg

had this done and they also fitted a second filter between glass bowl and carb ... car ran great for about 3 weeks then she wouldn’t start at all strong ignition just no catching to fire up... so I changed the leads and plugs (which were very sooty) all new from rimmer bros still wouldn’t fire up removed top of float chamber noticed bone dry!!!! tested via push button in engine too see if fuel being pumped threw and it was ... checked float all seemed fine so done the same on second float chamber now that had a bit of fuel in the pot so Again tested too see if fuel was coming through from pot 1 to pot 2 and it was !!!! Then noticed pot 1 was full with fuel also pot 2 !!!!!? Put it all back together and tried to start her up ..... wow it started first turn sounded amazing ran like a scolded cat drove brilliantly..... then about a week later started her up and she’s as lumpy as anything not much power hardly pulls off the drive revs very low red ignition light on when dropping revs and sounds like a bag of crap (where’s the magic gone)!!! 
hope alls clear. (Lol) 

mark 

A7EC8497-08FF-4C6F-BFB4-703C3D8284F2.jpeg

9C9502EB-2E5C-42AF-9842-1D1491FC4486.png

02906C66-9C59-4491-B6B0-F5FAA38364C8.jpeg

426AF8AC-8315-4EFD-BE20-84C900711E30.jpeg

25D63142-885C-4D9A-81A0-2A2833468957.jpeg

B69FD0AA-8916-4D4C-87A8-400F0BADD863.jpeg

Edited by Mark Seniac
Forgot to add engine number pic

So 1600 then.

Running issue sounds like 3 things i had in the past.

1.Non vented fuel cap causing vacuum,if you take the cap off after a run,if there is a rush of air it`s not venting properly.

2.Crud in the tank which blocks the pickup,temporary fix was blowing back down the fuel lines.Coating the inside of the tank fixed my Herald.

3.Rubber pipe joining 2 copper fuel lines under the car allowing air to be sucked in causing fuel delivery issues.

Steve

32 minutes ago, Steve P said:

So 1600 then.

Running issue sounds like 2 things i had in the past.

1.Non vented fuel cap causing vacuum,if you take the cap off after a run,if there is a rush of air it`s not venting properly.

2.Crud in the tank which blocks the pickup,temporary fix was blowing back down the fuel lines.Coating the inside of the tank fixed my Herald.

Steve

Thankyou Steve I’ll keep it in mind do you think that would explain sooty plugs?  
Im looking forward too other replies But I’ll definitely have a look at your suggestions 

cheers mark 

this has all the hall marks of dreaded rubber slivers , every time you fit a hose to a tube its likey to slice off a small sliver of rubber  these tadpoles swim about and block the back of the float needle valve giving a lack of fuel 

happens more than a lot   and when messing with the floats haave amagifyed look at the valve platform  i had lots of SU flooding , the floats wear a small barely visible rut in the float platform and this jams the needle  flatting doesnt work............. new floats  perfect 

so when you cure your tadpoles , expect some flooding as the next job 

pete

Doug, 

Sorry didn't reply earlier I just finished hooking up my new toy the afr gauge! I didn't ask about biased needles as it's not politically correct 😂😂! Best thing to do is give them a ring as I get the impression they have more than is actually on their website. 

Iain