Headliner or non-starter?

Now then you lot,

How difficult is it to replace a Vitesse Mk1 2 Litre headliner?  Now obviously it isn't going to be EASY.......but just how much grief is it likely to entail on a scale of 1 to 10? If anyone has actually done the job and can offer some insights then that would be greatly appreciated. I know from past experience with other cars that some models require the front and rear screens to come out, and if that's the case with the Vitesse then sorry to have to say that the current headliner will be seeing continued service!

Ian

front screen out  rear screen out  side quarter windows out the liner is trapped under all the glass flanges 

is it  simpler to take the roof off      that doesnt help a lot  all the edges are glues to the glass flanges and the seals pulled in over the header

Pete

56 minutes ago, poppyman said:

Is it ripped or scruffy Ian?

Tony.

To be honest mate it's not that bad, just a few rips here and there, and could do with a good clean..........but if it was straightforward to do I would consider replacing it just to match the standard of the rest of the car, but now that Pete has given me the grisly details I think I'll live with it!!

Ian

22 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

front screen out  rear screen out  side quarter windows out the liner is trapped under all the glass flanges 

is it  simpler to take the roof off      that doesnt help a lot  all the edges are glues to the glass flanges and the seals pulled in over the header

Pete

Oh dear!!.......that has made my mind up very quickly!!.......thanks Pete.

Ian

38 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

ive got yards of headliner  if needed   sold a lot earlier at 4mts for £20 + post 

go on get the singer out of the cupboard , have a stitch

Pete

It's not the prospect of dusting off the Singer that has me worried Pete........it's taking the top half of my car apart that gives me the collywobbles!! I'll defer to the advice given to me in 1976 by my apprenticeship training instructor Mr. March.......'If it's not broken lad, then don't fix it'.  

Ian

Ian,

I have one  small tear and mould spots, (my head lining, not me!) someone on here has painting the head lining and got what they thought surprisingly good results. I think you should try it and let us know how you get on. :)

Doug

9 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Ian,

I have one  small tear and mould spots, (my head lining, not me!) someone on here has painting the head lining and got what they thought surprisingly good results. I think you should try it and let us know how you get on. :)

Doug

That could be an option Doug, although by the looks of it my headliner has already been painted once before, so not sure how well a second coat would bond. Worth considering though.

Ian

3 minutes ago, SixasStandard said:

That could be an option Doug, although by the looks of it my headliner has already been painted once before, so not sure how well a second coat would bond. Worth considering though.

Ian

I suggested that a while ago Ian, hence my question. Vinyl silk emulsion works great and it will tighten it up slightly. Just make sure you do it in one go or you will see the join.

Tony.  

Did a Herald one years ago. Lady wife made it using the original as a pattern and I fitted it with the roof upside down on the lawn. The rear screen does need to come out.

First one I’d done and it was straightforward enough. Came out well.

Compared to a GT6 one...... walk in the park!

I'll agree with Pete and Nick; much easier to do with the roof off. Nearly impossible to get it properly seated in around the glass otherwise, and you're effectively working upside down if it's still in the car, so difficult to get good curves on the outer contours. Very sore on the neck, not to mention the nerves!

DSCF0014.jpg.af04b6e6390e32d99b51d4d8eb9b7df5.jpg