A quick fix? oil be the judge of that

SixasStandard

50 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I have a Smiths oil pressure gauge fitted; came from some unknown British Classic but the needles pointed in the same downwards direction as the other gauges so I fitted it.

It goes to about 100 on startup, sits at about 80 in normal driving and when very hot drops to about 50 on idle. As you say, Peter, I just use it as an indicator; if it drops to zero I'll panic but otherwise it's just there to match the other gauges and was never calibrated nor intended as an exact guide to oil pressure.

Interestingly Colin, someone said to me at the start of the oil pressure gauge project that 'once that thing's fitted you'll be spending all of your time watching it'..........wise words so it appears!!

Ian 

There is  a reason they are called "worry gauges"

I have an AFR (mixture) meter in mine, used when tweeking the fuelling on the car. I really ought to remove the thing, you are going along and keep glancing at it. And the fuelling is pretty good now anyway....

My oil pressure gauge is lashed in - I'm going to take it out now I'm happy enough the pressure in mine. I did contemplate fitting it permanently in the dash when my Dad re-veneered it - but decided not to as I prefer it laid out as stock. Ok the burr walnut isn't stock - but that's a minor detail ;)

8 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

well it needs a feed  the switch just completes the earth for the warning light , so buzzer needs to replicate the light wiring so jump it between the lp warning bulb 

so when light is on so is the buzzer

Pete

Of course, the other option is a very bright additional warning lamp. I have a 20psi oil pressure switch I keep meaning to add, came with an ominously large and bright LED warning lamp. I don't think you would miss that! (a buzzer may be missed in our cars at speed. Maybe a klaxon...)

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Badwolf said:

Pete - Is that just a question if putting a small cheap buzzer across the terminals of the oil warning light, like I have done on the indicator?

Having left mine on repeatedly last week I must look for that thread, or a suitable buzzer. Before, it had no springs on the stalk, so had to be held on by finger pressure and went off when released, but me being a smart-a&& replaced the indicator stalk and now keep forgetting to turn them off again.

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

ive got one of these for a member who persists in flashing everywhere !!

simply wires into the tail flasher

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-INDICATOR-WARNING-BUZZER-A-MUST-HAVE-TO-FIT-FORD/253365966838?hash=item3afdc9d7f6:g:9EQAAOSwHwJaWWt3

95DB?? 😮 I want to gently tell myself that the indicators are on, not scare the entire street into the air-raid shelters.

41 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

95DB?? 😮 I want to gently tell myself that the indicators are on, not scare the entire street into the air-raid shelters.

According to the advert 'why buy inferia models?'........I've personally never herd of the 'inferia' model.........sounds Italian!!

Inferia was originally Latin... means 'rites for the dead'... but these days it's a Heavy Metal band.

However I get the impression that the seller, whilst he may be listed as living in Biggleswade, might come from further afield.

"There is also an added benefit to this unit, if you have an alarm which when set of the indicators flash, then the sounder will sound which will be an added audible hint that someone may be tampering with your bike."

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

maybe we have a chinaman in biggleswick ???

Pete

Whether it's 'wick' or 'wade' one things for sure.......Capt. W.E. Johns would be spinning in his grave at the thought of such skulduggery..........poor show indeed old man.

Ian (aka Ginger)