What to look out for when buying a Triumph spitfire?

Nigelfrank

The old Haynes "Guide to Purchase and DiY Restoration" has a good section on how to inspect a Spitfire, or any small chassis Triumph. 

There's a copy for sale on Amazon:https://www.amazon.co.uk/Triumph-Spitfire-GT6-Herald-Vitesse/dp/0854295836/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Triumph+Spitfire+Guide+to+purchase+and+DiY+restoration&qid=1598649322&s=books&sr=1-1

• Thanks 1

There are lots of buyers guides out there. In my view rust is the most important thing to look out for in the usual places (sills, floors and bottom cornered of inner and outer wing, lower A and B post, front of the bonnet in both corners) - use a magnet to look for filler).  Look at chassis for any corrosion (particularly the where the front out-riggers joint at the front of the floor area).  Look at door shut lines, for signs of poor repairs (should be even). Engine need to look for tapper rattle on start up, sign of weak oil pump.  See if you can move the crank pulley, as there can be wear in the half bearings.  Drive the car and look at the drive way to see how much oil it is dropping (most cars drop some).  On the drive, check it goes into all the gears smoothly and doesn’t jump out of gear.  Listen for whines from engine, gearbox,  rear axel and wheel bearings. Whines from the clutch release bearing (when clutch is pressed) and merely annoying. Check it stops ok and does not pull to one side and that steering is not vague (may need new suspension bushes). Inspect springs for corrosion and shocks for leaks.  Look at rear of car and if it leans to one side, the rear spring has sagged. Look are fuel lines for corrosion bulges brake hoses.  Check oil to see when it was last serviced  look are tire ware to see if it is even  check body work for defects and hood (If fitted) for tears. Check lights, instruments, screen wash/wipe, horn, heater (including flaps in foot well).  Sit in seats and see if the foams have failed (look for crumbly decaying foam under seats).  Lift carpet and check for musty smell which is sign of water ingress.  Smell inside of boot for fuel leaks.  Check paint round brake and clutch master cylinders for puckering which signify a fluid leak.  Check under battery for corrosion.  Ask if trunnions have been oiled recently. Check tyres for cracks and uneven wear (poor suspension geometry).  Inspect exhaust while running for visible smoke and over rich mixture (smells of unburned petrol). 
Bound to have forgotten something!

cheers. 

• Thanks 1

get to any local area meeting  ( many are still covid restricted) and view some cars talk to members all cars and classics of these ages carry burdens not always obvious 

even a nice car can unravel lost problems of 50 years of reworks ,

bear in mind you can spend on mechanicals and gain benefit  where as spend on bodywork and you still just have a body

so a car with brilliant body and door shuts and a worn mechanics is a better bet that a mechanically superb  rusty wonky example 

most of the mechanicals can be done DIY . 

area meetings are on the Clubs main web page under Area Directory you dont have to be a member to pop along to any meets 

Pete

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Is Duxford on this year? I haven't heard anything. It was fantastic two years ago. My Mrs and I spent two days travelling up in the Spit. It was our first long trip fraught with little mishaps.... First thing I did when I got there was to visit the club shop and buy a new dizzy, leads and plugs! Oh and most importantly, two Triumph baseball caps......

Charlie

Hi  as far as Duxford goes plans are on hold till we get clear free space but rest assured its in mind and a date will appear when Duxford re open for bookings and 

my jab has  taken full advantage  

i wont say watch this space as there are too many unknowns just now  no point in making big plans only to fall fouls of the ravages of covid on all of us 

Pete

• Like 1