Hello from a new Vitesse 6 owner

Hi all. Here's a question for you...

I've noticed that the rubber on the two rear side windows is pretty cracked and broken up in places, and definitely needs replacing. The rear screen rubber isn't perfect, and could do with being replaced too at some point, but it's not as important.

Is it relatively simple to source parts like this, and if so, from where?

Are these straightforward to fit?

The window seals are available. The rears are quite pricy, last time I looked, about £70. Which would be ok, but there likely to be poor quality and sometimes poor fit, like most rubber (and other) parts for our cars I'm afraid.

A UK company "Baines" may have better quality, as I think they manufacture in house, though last time I looked they only did front screens, if I remember. Might be worth ringing them if there not listed on web site. 

Hi Jonny!  I did some double checking and the Rubber Seal Quarterlight Glass-Front Pair- 8035589, came from "Rimmer Bros"  They where Good Quality and fitted okay!  I think some people have cut them to make it easier to fit and re-glued them afterwards?  I snapped the lower pivot bolt on mine as it had rusted around the nut /spring so it was either taking the Glass out of the frame and fitting a new pivot bolt or as I had a spare quarterlight with a good pivot bolt I fitted that.  However I did have to drill out the 2 x top rivets to allow me to take the inner glass frame ot to fit the rubber correctly?  I am sure there was something on this, on the site?

Cheers martyn

2 minutes ago, martyn wright said:

Hi Jonny!  I did some double checking and the Rubber Seal Quarterlight Glass-Front Pair- 8035589, came from "Rimmer Bros"  They where Good Quality and fitted okay!  I think some people have cut them to make it easier to fit and re-glued them afterwards?  I snapped the lower pivot bolt on mine as it had rusted around the nut /spring so it was either taking the Glass out of the frame and fitting a new pivot bolt or as I had a spare quarterlight with a good pivot bolt I fitted that.  However I did have to drill out the 2 x top rivets to allow me to take the inner glass frame out to fit the rubber correctly?  I am sure there was something on this, on the site- See Quarterlight

Cheers martyn

yes the top pivot rivet has to be drilled  off to remove the frame and fit a new rubber 

the alternative is to cut the rubber which defies the idea of making new ..better

I found mine (long ago) to fit quite well and used a small screw and dome capped nut to replace the rivet as an easy /neat option

Pete

I thought it was the rear side windows?

Paddocks have them at £35 each or £83 for a pair, which is strange...

Fronts are easy to do if you remove the window; grind off the brass top rivet and replace with a blind rivet - last ones I used were 4.8mm and about 15mm long, possibly slightly large so I've ordered a few 4mm by 9mm and will report on how they fit and look. I'm also experimenting with both copper and stainless to see if they both work and which most closely resembles the original when painted.

Certainly easier than fitting the fronts, Pablo. You just need to be careful easing the old glass out - it can shatter - so it probably easier pressed out from inside, using fingertip pressure ease the lip of the rubber seal over the metal inch by inch until you can grip a corner or an edge from outside and pull it, very carefully, out all the way round. Clean up the metal and the glass, then the new seal goes round the glass and this is probably easier with two people - one to press the glass tightly to the aperture and the other to work the seal in all the way round. The more seal you get inside the metal lip the easier it becomes. Most use a piece of string or cable - put it inside the lip with two long edges dropping inside the car then ease the string out all the way around, bit by bit, so that as it comes out it pulls the lip of the rubber inside and over the metal. 

The video explains it, if only they'd leave off those stupid animations and things that take nearly a minute.

having fitted many screens in truck problem resolution on production we had a leather pad filled with lead shot  but for diy 

an old glove filled with sharp sand makes a good soft whacker  outside to  pad the glass in when stringing from inside 

the rear side windows are hard to fit due to the acute rear corner angle 

you can be quite hard with toughend glass but must be very careful if its laminated ,  so check the glass markings 

use a bostic /black gutter sealer , easy to pipe in and wipe off with white spirit 

you dont need any modern fangles sealer , just black and goo.and cheap is all thats needed 

whether you pipe seal on before fit or pipe it under the foitted seal is down to your preference

Pete

19 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Certainly easier than fitting the fronts, Pablo. You just need to be careful easing the old glass out - it can shatter - so it probably easier pressed out from inside, using fingertip pressure ease the lip of the rubber seal over the metal inch by inch until you can grip a corner or an edge from outside and pull it, very carefully, out all the way round. Clean up the metal and the glass, then the new seal goes round the glass and this is probably easier with two people - one to press the glass tightly to the aperture and the other to work the seal in all the way round. The more seal you get inside the metal lip the easier it becomes. Most use a piece of string or cable - put it inside the lip with two long edges dropping inside the car then ease the string out all the way around, bit by bit, so that as it comes out it pulls the lip of the rubber inside and over the metal. 

The video explains it, if only they'd leave off those stupid animations and things that take nearly a minute.

This is just what I needed! Many thanks indeed.