13/60 bonnet dimensions

ahebron

Does anyone have the length, width and depth of a 13/60 bonnet.
I have purchased one and need to pick it up from a 4 hour drive north.
I do not have access to my Vitesse at present.
It will be trailer, roofrack or back of Amarok.

I have 3 Vitesse bonnets for 2 cars and only one of them is good so I intend to rebuild the front panel on one of the bonnets then remove it and fit it too the 13/60 one, yes I know the side panels are a different shape. To buy a front panel and get it shipped to NZ is silly money.

Adrian

All the saloon bonnets have the same overall dimensions, Adrian, so measure your Vitesse ones.    Years ago, I bought a GRP bonnet and collected it comong back from a family holiday, by strapping it to the roof rack.

The family didn't know until I told them of my 'little detour' on the way home, and were disgusted by the limited speed imposed by the extra wind resistance, on top of the extra load of their luggage and the trailer behind (small boat), even on the modern we took on holiday!     But given that, and the labour of loading it onto the roof, a roof rack is a way to transport a bonnet.     A trailer might allow you to go faster, safely.

John

It will fit into a 6 x 4 trailer, sitting sideways. Just make sure the trailer sides are well padded and watch for damage to the bottom of the wings if they're resting on the trailer floor; an old bed quilt works wonders in protecting the metal.

DO NOT!! stand it up on the rear bonnet corners; they'll crumple in seconds and are hard to reprofile again.

5 hours ago, 68vitesse said:

Vitesse bonnet as near as I could measure

Length 1.2M 4ft.

Width 1.55M 5ft.

Hight 0.62M 2ft.

Brought a bonnet home once strapped upside down over the rear seats and hood well of my Vitesse convertible with padding in-between.

Regards

Paul

Thanks Paul.

It looks like it will fit in the back of the Amarok as it measures 1555mm long and 1620mm wide, or 1222mm between the arches.

Adrian

Just have to remove the shelf I put in which is easy.

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

many years back dad and I brought a 8ft up an over garage door home on top of the Humber sceptre  with just a roof rack and ...a prayer

so if it dont fit ..........anything is possible 

Pete

I posted one via Royal Mail, cost me £11. A Herald bonnet, that is - fibreglass it may have been, but still huge.

Not roof racks but a Herald 1200 convertible, when we got married in 68 the first house we brought had a large main bedroom 20 by 12 ft, and I fitted built in wardrobes (5No 3ft wide wardrobes and a 5 ft dressing table) along the 20ft outside wall made up from 8 by 4 blackboard sheets.

I had the 8 by 4 sheets cut in half ie 2 ft wide and transported them home in two trips by pushing the passenger seat up against the windscreen and jamming the 8 by 2 cut sheets under the lifted up seat and hanging out the back resting on the conv rear seat top of the vertical backrest. The front seat seat belts helped hold the cut sheets  down, there was a lot of overhang out the back.

Nothing like a good aerofoil to keep the back wheels on the ground!

It was a few months before I fitted the doors so the wife used to lay in bed looking into the Open fronted wardrobes choosing what to wear for the day!

That poor little Herald did well never complained, we lived in a Yorkshire market town and the police were hot on speeding cars but never stopped me on the 25 mile trip home.

The doors cut from 6 by 3 sheets were brought from the local hardware store which doubled as the Undertaker he delivered them in the back of the hearse!

11 hours ago, 68vitesse said:

Best off luck.

As I understand it the currently available Vitesse wings are altered 13/60 ones and will still need work for a reasonable fit..

Regards

Paul

Anything is better than the rotten pair I have at present. One is on the Mk2 CV and the other is a spare without a hoop that I saved from being scrapped. I think somewhere I have a set of metal work for mounting the Vitesse headlights that I cut out of old bonnets many many years ago so I might not have to touch the genuine bonnets. Be good practice with the new welding helmet🙃

Adrian

It was as though when VW designed the Amarok they wondered if some one would carry a 13/60 bonnet in the back. It was a perfect fit with the bonnet upside down and across the tray between the wheel arches.
Unfortunately the seller also had a pair of Vitesse guards that I could not refuse and got them for less than the price of one from the usual suppliers excluding post to NZ.

They will stay in the back of the Amarok till the coming weekend when I get time to sort out storing them.

Adrian

• Like 1