Rotor arm catching .. Delco 6 electronic

Paul H

Hi recently noticed my Vitesse mk 2 was missing a beat every now and again . I think I’ve traced the problem and looking for suitable remedies . I have an Accuspark Delco 6 distributor with built in electronics . It’s been on for a couple of years without issue until now . From the pics the Rotor arm is catching on the electronics . I think over the time the rotor arm has settled so it’s starting to catch . My plan is to trim the rotor arm on the underside so it’s doesn’t catch . Will this upset the balance ?

4C178200-067C-4586-B9B4-6251DFA6C373.thumb.jpeg.f0f934a856802cee6abd2bad96659567.jpeg

92292DAB-9A9D-4852-995A-7D6EEDB0222E.thumb.jpeg.b4687e91ab9afdb715a644d0c24f0c68.jpeg

Paul 

20 minutes ago, Paul H said:

Hi recently noticed my Vitesse mk 2 was missing a beat every now and again . I think I’ve traced the problem and looking for suitable remedies . I have an Accuspark Delco 6 distributor with built in electronics . It’s been on for a couple of years without issue until now . From the pics the Rotor arm is catching on the electronics . I think over the time the rotor arm has settled so it’s starting to catch . My plan is to trim the rotor arm on the underside so it’s doesn’t catch . Will this upset the balance ?

4C178200-067C-4586-B9B4-6251DFA6C373.thumb.jpeg.f0f934a856802cee6abd2bad96659567.jpeg

92292DAB-9A9D-4852-995A-7D6EEDB0222E.thumb.jpeg.b4687e91ab9afdb715a644d0c24f0c68.jpeg

Paul 

Thats definitely not good and although might not be your problem its certainly the first place to start. I think you might be missing a piece from the rotor arm as it looks like there should be a metal spring tensioner fitted in that internal slot. This holds the arm rigidly on the distributor drive and without it might be allowing it to tilt to make contact with the trigger sensor. It could be a small curved strip of steel or brass that has probably fallen out when the rotor arm has been removed as it doesnt look like it could have gone down inside the distributor...

• Thanks 1

yes agree  the small  sprung tensioner is missing it aids the fit and stops the rotor wobbling about 

probably not the case as this is a newer replacement dizzy but the delco design relies on  squirt of oil down under the base plate to lubricate a felt pad for the top spindle bush  its common this never gets a squirt from a oil can and the shaft wears allowing lots of sideways spindle float 

not sure how accuspark do this  the orig delco base plate has a hole with oil -> stamped on it 

lucas can suffer the same but are less dramatic

Pete

• Thanks 1

I fitted a red rotor because of their implied  quality compared with the supplied black rotor arm . Comparing the 2 there is a big difference in height . The black rotor easily clears the electronics and doesn’t have any additional metal tensioners 

A20A875F-07E7-479A-A361-709C2A6EDF8E.thumb.jpeg.8bbc54ebbea2258bf1ea0d6ad10d2158.jpeg

Another issue with the red rotor is the brass plate is loose 😱😱 Red doesn’t mean quality any more . Check out the the video , I will revert to the black rotor using the red rotor as a spare after tightening up the brass rivet and shaving some plastic on the underside 

One ? Does the Delco 6 support switching to points ? 

Paul 

0C599CDE-6070-45B6-9BF0-DEC00F890978.thumb.jpeg.7b1142000e8e72b1157963017d4402bc.jpeg

red can be a myth,

the delco rotors( with rivet)   dont suffer the same rivet/ht short circuit  that  the lucas copies with a rivet managed to give lots of grief

may be just the spacing , but the problem of shorts from the sweep plate rivet to the cam spindle is as far as i have found to be Lucas copies 

pete

12 hours ago, RogerH said:

There are lots of rubbish RED rotors out there.

But the only good one will have DD stamped on it for 'Distributor Doctor' - this is the one to have.

Roger

As far as I know DD doesn’t supply Delco 

Paul 

Hello Paul.

I believe that is certainly the case with red rotor arms but Martin Jay is branching in to Delco distributors as the following shows. It MAY be the case he will look at the rotor arm option in due course. That said, would certainly be worth a call on his return to work 4th January

Regards.

Richard.

Due to long term pleading from  Triumph & Rolls/Bentley owners , we've departed from our "Lucas only" stance and made a top quality resin potted condenser to suit all the Delco condenser equipped smaller engine Triumphs, many Rolls/Bentley/Bristol applications and a myriad of 1940's and 1950's cars too.
The Delco condenser numbers are: 829111,829107,1861709,1866049,18655972, 1869704,1882239.
Lucas numbers: 54420868, DCB703, UNIPART, GSC104.

13 hours ago, RogerH said:

There are lots of rubbish RED rotors out there.

But the only good one will have DD stamped on it for 'Distributor Doctor' - this is the one to have.

Roger

I wouldn't rely on the DD markings. About 6 years ago I bought 2 rotor arms off fleabay, in green lucas boxes. They were red rotors, but I bught them as they were not riveted and cheap.

On arrival they had DD cast in them. So they were either supplied by DD (very very doubtful), the same factory was illegitimately selling them (probable) or another factory had noticed DD was a good thing to include. As it turns out they were good quality, maybe I was lucky.