Gasket removal

AidanT

Recommendations please to remove old gasket

I have tried various blades bit still have residue- what chemical is best to soften gasket / gasket sealant or another weapon of choice such as abracs poly disc?

Aidan

I have a "wonder tool" used for all sorts. From scraping gaskets, to chiselling wood, digging out putty in windowframes

A decent quality wallpaper scraper, but with the "blade" cut down to about 3" long. And then put a nice edge on it.

Best are ones from bootsales, with a hardwood handle and the metal blade/tang goes right up through the handle. Think I paid 10p each, they look battered but a few minutes work and you have an excellent tool. And you can happily hit those with a hammer. The brand is Hamilton, about £10 a pop new. 

EDIT I would be wary of an abrasive wheel on old gaskets as they usually contain asbestos. Last thing you want is to be making airbone fine dust. And no, a mask won't protect you from the fibres that cause asbestosis. They are too small to be caught (needs an electron microscope to see the buggers) You need an air fed, positive pressure mask. Or better still, just scrape it off in lumps.

Does it really get rid of juntas

Definition of junta

1: a council or committee for political or governmental purposesespecially : a group of persons controlling a government especially after a revolutionary seizure of power

Could do with sending a can over to Washington???

2 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Anyway what did they call it before they asked the Spanish-speakers what THEY called it?

The Spanish don't call it that. It's a linguistic misappropriation, really. The Spanish word "junta" means "conjoined" or stuck but can also mean "board". So that can is claiming to remove sticky bits of board - or "gasket remnants" as we would call them.

The English use of "Junta" in the political sense comes from south American dictators being hard to remove.