Fuel pump

David Taylor

1 hour ago, johny said:

The pump cases look different but thats not unusual as they vary depending on manufacturer however its the lever thats important cos, as you say, its got to make the correct contact with the cam. Although in your picture the levers look to be at different angles nobody seems to offer a pump that is closer to the original and that may not matter. The lever is moved through a small range by the cam and as long as its always in contact with it and obviously not forced too far the pump will work as intended.

I would turn you engine by hand until you can see or feel the cam lobe is in its maximum operating position relative to the lever (about 45º from vertical?) and then try putting the pump in place by hand. You will feel resistance as the lever gets pushed by the cam and the pump internal spring compresses but the pump mounting face should meet the engine without the lever coming to the end of its travel.

If the lever locks before the pump is fully in place you have a problem and the only solution might be to overhaul the old pump. Also this could be a good option because another possible issue with replacement pumps is that the output pressure is higher which may then cause a carb to overflow.....  

Hiya. So I can't attach the pump to the engine body, due I suspect to the lever being longer and a different angle to the original. So I'll send back the pump and try and get another which fits.

most  list 208493 as a straight lever for all herald and spitty upto early mkIV

Picture of FUEL PUMP MK1-111 SCREW FITTINGS(208493)

the spacer /arm change was from 1500 FM93158 

does look very different to your old pump lever stand off

have you done a fit trial as the lever only compresses the diaphragm spring and once installed could  be fine 

other changes were push on pipes but that doesnt affect the arm configuration

most reviews say a straight swap 

Pete

1 hour ago, David Taylor said:

Hiya. So I can't attach the pump to the engine body, due I suspect to the lever being longer and a different angle to the original. So I'll send back the pump and try and get another which fits.

I cant see you'll get anything different unless you manage to find NOS. As Pete says, carefully give this one a try....

OK guys. So after a little bit of fettling, I've now fitted the new fuel pump. And .... no fuel is being pumped! Either it is something incredibly simple that I'm not doing or there's something wrong with the engine? Just to confirm:

1. I've bypassed the fuel tank and there is a hose directly into a can of fresh petrol
  2. The engine turns over fine and there is a healthy spark in each of the plugs
  3. No fuel is coming out of the pump at all

Ideas????? Could it be the cam lobe which has been damaged?

IMG_4613 copy.jpg

3 minutes ago, David Taylor said:

OK guys. So after a little bit of fettling, I've now fitted the new fuel pump. And .... no fuel is being pumped! Either it is something incredibly simple that I'm not doing or there's something wrong with the engine? Just to confirm:

1. I've bypassed the fuel tank and there is a hose directly into a can of fresh petrol
  2. The engine turns over fine and there is a healthy spark in each of the plugs
  3. No fuel is coming out of the pump at all

Ideas????? Could it be the cam lobe which has been damaged?

IMG_4613 copy.jpg

I'd also add that the car was working perfectly all last summer before I put her in the garage for the winter. So I'm truly flummoxed as to what's going on!

There is a slight possibility the pump lever has gone under the cam rather than on top of it. I believe if as put the pump into place you point the lever downwards this can happen so did you feel any resistance against the cam as you pushed it into place? Have you tried operating the manual lever at the base of the pump to see if that gets it to pump?

I think it unlikely that the cam is damaged the cam can be felt through the pump hole. I would loosen it of and try to pump it with the lever and make sure that the petrol is not too far below the pump. It could as Johnny said be that the arm is not correctly on the cam either to the side or under, but don't discount a faulty new pump

ahhh Ive just noticed something in the photo of your original pump! It looks like its lever has been damaged and bent upwards as you can see a fold in the metal at the bottom. Dont know how its happened but possibly the pump jammed and the cam has forced the lever up which is why its angle doesnt match the new pump's.... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johny said:

ahhh Ive just noticed something in the photo of your original pump! It looks like its lever has been damaged and bent upwards as you can see a fold in the metal at the bottom. Dont know how its happened but possibly the pump jammed and the cam has forced the lever up which is why its angle doesnt match the new pump's.... 

Obviously you don't need to go to specsavers Johnny. Well spotted.

Tony.