Gasket hole line up

Martin White

Hi Folks 

Just about to put the head back on the block (in a very cold garage) I have noticed the payene gasket has one of the holes (I assume oil/waterway) is slightly blocked by the gasket not lining up correctly. I checked with the ajusa one I removed and it appears to be the same. Is this an issue does anyone know? Seems worse by number 1 cylinder and not so bad at number 4

Martin

Gasket line up 1.jpg

Gasket line up 2.jpg

I’d be extremely reluctant to remove any metal from the block, especially that close to the edge of the bore. The engine had managed 50 years or so as it is. Certainly would be looking at how the same gasket hole relates to the matching hole in the head - if there even is a matching hole in the head?

Nick

I wouldn't trim the block, just in case, but as for the gasket... can you lay both gaskets down, one on top of the other, and see how the holes line up?

There should be a matching hole in the head, as Nick asks, but one thing, just out of curiosity - that other oil way to the right in the top photo appears to be sealed / blocked / uncut - I'm assuming that's normal but wondering why the gasket is cut at that point?

I would guess the hole in the gasket that doesn't match a hole in the block is so that the gasket can be fitted either way withjout risk of blocking the oilway to the rockers Ah but that idea doesn't make sense as the gasket is marked top as it has the tab at the back

3 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

If it can't be reversed why go to the extra expense of cutting a hole and edging it in copper?

Because the earlier, non-recessed block, gasket could be fitted either way up, so the extra oil hole was needed on that, then just got carried over.

8 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

I’d be extremely reluctant to remove any metal from the block, especially that close to the edge of the bore. The engine had managed 50 years or so as it is. Certainly would be looking at how the same gasket hole relates to the matching hole in the head - if there even is a matching hole in the head?

Nick

Hello Nick

I just mean a chamfer to the gasket hole and top photo left-hand one is just as close!

But would probably make no difference!

Roger