GT6 Mk3 Door mirrors

I am thinking of fitting door mirrors to my Mk3 GT6 . it has an overtaking mirror on the quarter light frame but I would like to replace this with a pair of the later spitfire BL oblong ones like I had on my spitfire but am wondering about the correct position as it has quarter lights unlike the spitfire, does anyone have photos and fitting dimension's for drilling 

Regards Keith 

Keith - You need an assistant to move the mirrors to the best spot for you while you sit in the drivers seat to view. Put masking tape on the doors roughly where you think is best and get your assistant to carefully mark your best spot. Do NOT do what I did, which is find the best place on the driver's door and transfer the measurements to the passenger door for symetry. Looks nice but the passenger door mirror is too far forward. This is for a MkIV Spitfire by the way.

its a sure way of having a door full of holes 

used to call it the pepper pot method 

if you cant get an assistant  get a right big dob of blue tac   and double check as BW says   its so easy to get it very wrong

wise move to not be tempted by bullet mirrors ....passenger side is quite useless 

Pete

Thanks for the tips .Will do as you say and get an assistant to help. next is do I go for chrome or black mirrors, door handles and bumpers chrome but top wing finisher black Also which is the best make to buy quality more important than price.

Keith

I also have chrome handles etc and black rear wing trim. I went for chrome mirrors. They look great. Got them off Fleabay (as ever) some time ago. I think that they are all much the same 'Tex' style, like these...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273192573427?fits=Model%3ASpitfire&hash=item3f9b8bd9f3:g:4nwAAOSwE2da63DI

You also need them to be convex, not flat.

Sorry, can't find which supplier it was, but they were very good (not that that helps you in this case). Out of stock to start off with but kept me informed every couple of days. Had a look around MGBHive looks familiar but not sure, sorry

You might want to think about making up some metal retaining plates for the oblong door mirrors.  These are a 'lozenge' sort of shape, with sloping ends.  As you tighten the mounting screws, the plate acts like a wedge and holds the mirror rigid.  The modern ones are now made of plastic (or cheese) and are pretty useless, leaving wobbly mirrors.  If you get a bit of steel bar, and cut and file to shape, then make a couple of holes and tap them, you can have nice, firm mirrors like they always used to be!

I agree with Roger. If, I eventuall get the door repaired, I intend to do something along those lines making sure that the plates are well waxed to prevent rust especially around the holes. I will also take the opportunity to resite the passenger door mirror.

and to add i used rivnuts in the door as the plastic rawlplug idea on the plastic base are pretty useless

and agree the old ones are best  i guess the change to plastic wobbly is to enable impact removal should you whack a pedestrian 

I would sooner give them a good smack and keep my mirror  

Pete

Currently re-fitting the doors to the refurbished shell (13/60). Worth making up some Internal backing plates and bonding them to the inside?, whilst I still have full access?. I have some 3mm Galvanised I could use?.

Pete

The other clanger to avoid is positioning your door mirror so you can't fully open the quarterlight! I must sit taller than the PO who fitted them and the additional tilt back on the mirror means the driver's quarterlight fouls it. Passenger side is mounted in dimensionally the same position on the door, but the quarterlight clears it.

Gully  

Also something to watch out for if fitting mirrors to a soft top (Spitfire in my case), is to check that the mirror isn't in the way of fitting a tonneau cover. The buttons may be ok but remember that the cover has an overhang of about 1" which could be a definite problem if the mirror is too close to the button

If you bond a fixing plate inside you will have to be very careful to remove any cavity wax or similar and clean off any residual grease etc. Reapply it well after fitting the plate.

Be a little careful with the mirror anchor plate my daughters original Sprint around 1994 was so equipped it distorted the sound proofing on the inside of the outer door skin trapping water and we got a rust hole about 2 by 1.5 in where the mirror was mounted on the door I had to cut it neatly out and fit a replacement part perfectly fitted in then sandwiched by an inner piece of steel and a modified mirror plinth, stood the passage of time well!

• 1 month later...

Well finally bit the bullet and fitted them ,found a set I bought 14 years ago in my spares box Spent a few days trying different places to mount and think I have found the best place for vision and not obstructing the 1/4 lights opening. went out and bought a 17/64 HSS bit to get a snug fit and once drilled touched up the holes with a little etch primer with a paint brush. I think they look good 

Keith

196731902_4150881601617171_8728567198091682272_n (1).jpg

195960541_4150881144950550_6623089919885990477_n (1).jpg

197380134_4150881471617184_215081354583318710_n (1).jpg

197905100_4150881298283868_5131914353913512534_n (1).jpg