GT6 MkIII - OE Wheel Studs

Just bought myself a GT6 Mk III and a newbie to the forum. Apologies in advance as there will be a plethora of questions. One of may if  I may:

My car has a set of after market 14" rims on that are secured with bolts from the front. The previous owner gave me a set of the original 13" steel rims which I wish to put on asap, but I am unsure as to the best place to obtain the set of 16 studs that are knocked in from the rear. Could anyone point me in the right direction and I am also mindful of not ordering ones that are too long as I want to be able to feed the back ones in without too much trouble if that is possible. I also have the chrome centre caps to go on as well and not sure if that effects the type / length of stud required 

Thanks in advance

Jeremy

so your 14"are on bolts not studs  thats a concern as the hubs have to be tapped and that renders any replacement stud as un retainable 

as origs  have a splined light press fit in the hub drilling    this needs some carefull examination

as for studs many replace the rather weeny 3/8unf with 7/16 unf or 12mm moderns  

by aftermarket are these steel or alloy wheels ???

as for supplies  its do a search   originals  places like Canley classics for original stuff

and for anything special places like midlands wheels come to mind 

the bolt vs stud has to be examined first 

7/16 studs are triumph 2000    12mm use ford or landrover( much cheaper) 

std length will fit in the rear hubs with the shoes removed  if longer are needed they may fit , may need the backplate hole ,or take the hub flange off

and that generally need a proper hub puller as they can be a swine to split 

Pete

To summarise, if wanting to fit standard steel GT6 rims with the chrome centres:

You need splined studs, not bolts, as outlined above.

You need the standard length splined studs, not longer ones.

You need the correct chrome blind wheel nuts, currently unavailable anywhere in chromed mild steel but some suppliers have stainless.  I'd prefer mild steel to original spec, but not an option currently.

You will need to stick to the original 3/8" stud to retain the chrome wheel centre without modification.

Converting to 7/16" studs should only be done if using aftermarket wheels.  The cone of a larger 7/16" stud does not fit in a standard wheel designed for 3/8" studs - it sits on top of the locating cone instead of engaging with it.  Small Triumph wheels are stud centred, not hub centred - i.e. they are located in position on the hub by the conical wheel nuts, not the centre boss of the wheel (this is actually important for balancing too, but nobody seems to notice a difference).  If the cones do not engage with each other I would class this as unsafe.

Basically, if you want to fit standard steel wheels with the chromed centre trim, you must keep everything standard.  A possible alternative would be to machine and fit 7/16" studs (the stud heads don't quite fit behind the smaller hub castings), then get a set of original 3/8" stepped nuts and drill them out and retap to 7/16" UNF.  This does remove some 'meat' from the stud, so produces a point of potential failure at the narrowed groove where the plastic washer fits.  This might have insurance implications.

Be very careful where you buy your studs, and/or hubs.  The 3/8" studs from Canley Classics seem OK, but I have had a history of failures with new studs from other suppliers at less than the specified minimum wheel nut torque values.  Those suppliers don't seem interested in the problem as yet, at least until the first lawsuit appears.

20 minutes ago, Roger K said:

You need the correct chrome blind wheel nuts, currently unavailable anywhere in chromed mild steel but some suppliers have stainless.  I'd prefer mild steel to original spec, but not an option currently.

I replaced my aged wheel nuts with stainless from Canley’s, the only way you can tell is there’s no rust and no flaking chrome. 😊 Be careful to get the right shape, some look nothing like the original.

Doug

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roger K said:

I have an almost full set lying about somewhere if they're the same a Spitfire ones, I think I've got 15. Not mint - they were on a car for years - but if you need them let me know.