Offset pedals

jagnut66

13 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Well, no. It's angled slightly to your left so it spears you neatly through the heart. There are no air bags or crash protection, so it's probably for the best. :)

Doug

I think the prospect of being "speared through the heart" is probably the most effective safety device you can have 🤔

My first Spitfire was a rather rough MK3 in the late 70's, only briefly owned because I lost control cornering at speed and it went head on into a deep ditch.

I woke up some distance into a ploughed field after flying out of the open roof. Luckily, the roof was down and I wasn't wearing a seatbelt or I probably wouldn't be here today.

To this day I don't remember the impact but it was described repeatedly in amazement by my mate who was trying to keep up in his Midget.

2 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

That's why the original and quite large steering wheel is best; it spreads the load so when the column collapses it pushes against your entire chest and you go backwards over the seat and out of the rear window.

...and that's a safety device??!!

8 hours ago, PeteH said:

On the Herald the accelerator is the "organ" type, bolted through the floor,

Personally I've no problem with the accelerator pedal in my Herald, it's the brake and clutch pedals that I might consider bending slightly over to the left.

Best wishes,

Mike.

1 hour ago, jagnut66 said:

Personally I've no problem with the accelerator pedal in my Herald, it's the brake and clutch pedals that I might consider bending slightly over to the left.

Best wishes,

Mike.

Yes, Both pedal boxes are off at the moment, the pivot pins where seized to the point where they where bearing on the Frame. I will trial fit them and see if the Pedals do need a "tweek" before I put them back. The floors are new, so moving the accelerator a smidgen if necessary will not be such a big deal.

Pete

6 hours ago, cliff.b said:

My first Spitfire was a rather rough MK3 in the late 70's, only briefly owned because I lost control cornering at speed and it went head on into a deep ditch.

I woke up some distance into a ploughed field after flying out of the open roof. Luckily, the roof was down and I wasn't wearing a seatbelt or I probably wouldn't be here today.

To this day I don't remember the impact but it was described repeatedly in amazement by my mate who was trying to keep up in his Midget.

I remember when the idea of seat belts was first "floated", there was a quite "heated" debate over whether  it was more "desirable" to use belts in a convertible, with the thought of being thrown clear, or risk being trapped and crushed by the car if it turned over?, any idea of having a roll bar was rejected on grounds that it spoil`t the profile. Different times back when, we still rode Motorcycles without Crash Helmets. When "compulsory" helmet wearing came in, one local guy tried wearing a turban on the ground Sikhs where exempt!.

Pete