Offset pedals

jagnut66

Hi, 

Firstly, I couldn't be sure which forum section to put this in, so please excuse me if it's in the wrong one.

Something I've noticed from the outset is the offset pedals, which I do find take some getting used to.

I'm guessing they were offset to the right in relation to Triumph's sporting image, as opposed to the more standard (straight) pedal positions in my Morris.

If there is a historical reason behind the offset positioning I'd be interested to hear about it.

However, as I don't intend racing my Herald 1200, I thought I'd inquire as to whether is it possible to get hold of a standard 'straight' set pedal box for her?

I admit I've noticed it more since fitting the spoked banjo steering wheel that I have repaired and refurbished and I must also admit I didn't realise it had a larger diameter until I fitted it to her.

I love the look but I will take the opportunity now to refurbish the original steering wheel, in case I decide to swap back.

If not (regarding the pedal box) I'll just have to get used to it.

Best wishes,

Mike.

I'm more concerned with the lack of space between the pedals than the offset. 

I thought my feet must have grown in the years since I last drove a Spitfire. Then I realised I now get a wide fitting shoe which wasn't available then (or at least on my budget).

I find I am now considering suitability of footware before driving.

10 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Another Hobbit foot here! 

And to get the pedals in the right place the cars would have to be a foot wider. :lol:

db

Surely it would be more difficult if you you had had another foot to get in Doug?

Tony. 

10 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

The steering column is also off-set... not bent, as some would call it, but it angles upwards towards the outside.

Is that to save you getting speared in a head on, all cleverly designed for your body to roll out of the way 😜

3 hours ago, Mathew said:

Is that to save you getting speared in a head on, all cleverly designed for your body to roll out of the way 😜

Well, no. It's angled slightly to your left so it spears you neatly through the heart. There are no air bags or crash protection, so it's probably for the best. :)

Doug

Being blessed with size 14UK feet I have tended to use the side of my feet whilst driving.
Wears out the floor mats quicker but it means I dont hit multiple pedals at once.

1935 Lagonda Rapier I could hit all 3 pedals at once, that had a central accelerator with clutch to the left and brake to the right.
Got it sorted and accelerator is now in the proper place and the other pedals have been spread so they are not a close as they used to be.

Has anyone ever looked at re-locating the pedal boxes?. On the Herald the accelerator is the "organ" type, bolted through the floor, and may be easy to move a little bit?. But moving the brake inward, looks problematic?.

Collapsible columns and Air bags are wimpy modern idea`s. Us rough`y tough`y hard old guys, don`t need such comforts!😁

6 minutes ago, PeteH said:

Has anyone ever looked at re-locating the pedal boxes?. On the Herald the accelerator is the "organ" type, bolted through the floor, and may be easy to move a little bit?. But moving the brake inward, looks 

On the spitfire if you want to extreme move you can always cut the mounting plate for the clutch and brake and weld to the desired position. Never found the need, mind you 31 years of driving them i might of got used to it.

39 minutes ago, Mathew said:

On the spitfire if you want to extreme move you can always cut the mounting plate for the clutch and brake and weld to the desired position. Never found the need, mind you 31 years of driving them i might of got used to it.

Neither did I on the Vitesse, which was "er indoors" commuter in the 80`s. I driven more different marques and cars right up to HGV`s. LHD and RHD over the years. Manual, auto; and Tracked!. (missed out on the walking drag-line😭) but have driven a Tank!. And a 6 wheel airfield fire truck. 50MPH over a ploughed field!. Driving in Rigger boots can be "interesting". It is, I suppose, something you acclimatize to after a while, and part of the driving experience. Back in the 70`s we used to set up Mk1 Escourt`s for club rallying deliberately to be able to "Heel and Toe" On stages.

Pete

I have no issues with the Herald pedal layout and can drive with work boots if need be, but my Midge, which uses all Herald gear, including pedals, is another matter altogether.... There's only 12" across the footwell at the pedals, so narrow driving shoes are preferable, though I have got used to driving in trainers.

P5230166.JPG