Speedo Angle Drive Thread Size

I'm converting my GT6 to an electronic speedo that can be home-calibrated to match its 3.27:1 final drive and wheel/tyre combination, so I need to fit an electronic sensor to drive the new speedo. Rather than fit a bolt counting sensor by the propshaft, I like the neatness of the sensors that replace the (now redundant) speedo angle drive on the side of the overdrive. Revington TR have one that's suitable but it's expensive at £66:

https://www.revingtontr.com/product/rtr8558-1/name/sensor-speedo-drive

I think something like this Brantz sensor from Demon Tweeks would do the job cheaper:

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/brantz-speed-sensors-241419/?sku=BNZBR4&istCompanyId=a2904180-3a7d-4e56-b876-cf81c9512180&istFeedId=6fbc4b04-fd28-4ce1-8513-835c8f118690&istItemId=wptilaxlm&istBid=t&gclid=Cj0KCQjwh_eFBhDZARIsALHjIKfn4xcRmayYspw7ENsutJ2ZJB585xjkuaGz8S6EclCS-eO2_s-Oa-waAsF8EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Does anyone know the thread type on the Laycock overdrive's speedo output? And are all Laycock speedo threads the same, as I plan to swap the D-type overdrive for a J-type in the fairly near future?

Thank you in advance.

Nigel

now i have that thread size written in a manual somewhere    cant find it 

the demon tweaks smiths looks the part 

my only use of J type   is on the mk2 2000 and thats not a threaded adaptor but a plain bush and cable  held in with fork and setscrew

very different 

Pete

• Thanks 1

Thank you Pete.

On the J-type I have on the bench, the fork in the overdrive holds a threaded output adapter with an approx 3/4" diameter thread.

I think Demon Tweeks Smiths side is to fit the normal Smiths cable end, more like 1/2".

So I'm still not sure. 18mm is close to 3/4" but would Laycock and Smiths have used a metric thread back in the day??

Does anyone know the thread type for sure?

Nigel

its daft i have this from previous questions but  its done a runner

i blame covid   or  maybe   ageism  Ha             its hiding somewhere 

is th DT unit to fit the gearbox or the speedo end of the cable as thats  nearer 1/2"

i have an angle drive will have a play with some taps 

Pete

another idea 

https://www.caigauge.com/documents//pdfs/emp34-1kit-388.pdf

it is likely the cable fitting in the speedo is 1/2 BS Cy   and the thread on the gearbox drive is  23/32" BS Cy  at 26tpi ( this is historical)

wonderful  !!!  so   you need a Bicycle..............  but a measure makes it 0.7440"   18,90mm    so the bike idea is defunct 

there are thoughts its 3/4"  or 19mm  as some advertise it as these and counting the TPI at 8am is not going to happen  

sorry  not getting very far       ha !!

Pete

Pete

the brantz /smiths option  one should have the right thread 

what i like is the statement below  make your mind up its either inch or metric  ...more |Ha !!!

many sites quote 

Speedo Angle Drive for MGB & Triumph TR, Healey Part 021-511 or 120694. 

New high-quality Smiths Reproduction speedometer gearbox angle (Smiths No, BG2402-05) drive as fitted to; Rover P6, MGB & Triumph TR’s and the large capacity Healey's (GB0163).

Also used on the speedometer head of the Aston Martin V8 models from the 1969 DBS, and V8's 1972 to 1980.

Internal and external thread size; 3/4”  (19mm approximately). Supplied complete with special copper fixing washer which must be used when fitting, ratio 1:1

On 07/06/2021 at 19:05, Pete Lewis said:

my only use of J type   is on the mk2 2000 and thats not a threaded adaptor but a plain bush and cable  held in with fork and setscrew

My setscrew on J Type, was a bit loose, I found out today. I tightened it up (a bit tighter than previously), though can the fork be overtightened and squash the seal or other things too much?.

Dave (AKA, worrier, too much) 

Dave  you do worry ....all of us   Ha  

hand tight wont upset anything the seal is an O ring on the speedo housing to case and a small proper oil seal on the speedo drive , 

how the cable is attached is outside of any gearbox oil zones they are all down under you clamp thingy 

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

I used the speedo cable adapter with a Brantz on my TR4.  Worked nicely.  So you could use that, save a few quid, and use a stub of speedo cable - then it'll always fit something if gearbox/OD is converted.  Or is that a bit too much of a bodge 🤔?

• Thanks 1