Fuel pump outlet pipe olive fitting

Stratton Jimmer

My recently acquired six pot Spitfire was found to have a fuel weep from the pump outlet. The brass tube nut had been rather damaged  and appeared to have been tightened up with a mole grip. I managed to remove it and found that the pipe wasn't quite straight and so the tube nut didn't meet the olive but some PTFE tape had been wound around the pipe which seems to have allowed the joint to have been temporarily made fuel tight. Unsurprisingly, it had begun to leak. I have removed the final 1/4 inch of pipe together with the olive and ordered a replacement tube nut and olive from Moss. Anyhow, I am just seeking any advice on fitting the new olive and tube nut. Should there be a flare to the pipe end? There wasn't one previously but the whole pipe appears to have been a recent fit. I seek the guidance of the wise!

you need the pipe to protrude through a few mm beyond the olive and there is no flare 

its either an olive or a flare not both that wont work

if the pipe doesnt go right thro' and stick out beyond the olive only one side of the olive is left to grip  ..happens a lot 

and dont do the nut up with gorilla hands   a nice hand tight nip should grip the olive firmly on the pipe 

Pete

no the olive is the sealing point when it gets pushed up against the cup shape inside the fuel pump (worth looking in fuel pump hole to make sure its seat isnt damaged) then as you do up the nut this pushes on the other end of the olive to compress it onto the pipe. Usually works fine as long as the alignment is ok and the components good - after all the fuel pressure is pretty low👍