Steel 'putty'

trigolf

Evening all.

I'd like to repair the wear groove in the brake backplate, caused by the handbrake lever pin, under the brake cylinder.

I don't have access to a welder, to fill the groove with weld. Has anyone successfully repaired the same wear with a steel 'putty'.

I'm thinking of trying Steel Stik. It seems to get very good reviews ?

Gav

Gav - I have done a wide range of tests with panel adhesive but not tried that one. I beleive that one of the JB Weld range might be suitable. It gets good reviews but I have not tried that either. What I have used, set like rock. My own test results are here...

https://forum.tssc.org.uk/topic/2623-back-to-the-past-nose-to-tail-1972-spitfire-mkiv-restoration-upgrades/page/35/

..on to about page 41 hope it helps a little.

14 hours ago, Badwolf said:

Gav - I have done a wide range of tests with panel adhesive but not tried that one. I beleive that one of the JB Weld range might be suitable. It gets good reviews but I have not tried that either. What I have used, set like rock. My own test results are here...

Ok,

Thanks Badwolf - looks like JB Weld could do the trick.

Gav

6 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Gav,

If the JBWeld is under 'constant ' movement I don;t give it much hope.

It needs welding and cutting back

Roger

I agree.

JB Weld is amazing stuff, but I fear the load and friction of the handbrake lever pins' movement will wear through it fast, though I've no experience using it for such an application.

Nigel

1 hour ago, trigolf said:

Ok. I've given it some thought and think the jury's verdict is sound ! I'll have to see if I can persuade my work colleague to pop round with his mig welder.😕

Where about's do you live. If local to West London LHR airport I could weld it for you.

Roger

3 hours ago, RogerH said:

Where about's do you live. If local to West London LHR airport I could weld it for you.

Roger

A very kind offer, thanks Roger- but I live in Christchurch, Dorset. I need to dismantle the brakes first anyway. 

Gav

• 4 months later...
On 03/07/2021 at 10:23, Pete Lewis said:

the high load and limited movement has worn the original so i would not  hold out much hope any stick on will give you the revitalised life you may hope for 

+2 for get it welded and disc flat that will last for years again.

Pete

+3 from here. It's either weld up & dress out, or new backplates. If the backplates are worn, bent or warped ( who? Me?) then on a personal level, I'd suggest new ones.

Cheers,

Ian.