Gt6 mk3 - front bumper

Joanna K

Good evening,

As you can see below, my EMO’s front bumper doesn’t look great. I’ve been thinking of having it re-chromed ( new set from Rimmer = over £1000)…

Do you have any good names in the South West that you could recommend, and have any ideas how much it could cost?39D22ABD-AE5E-41DA-83D2-0D2EEE52A721.thumb.jpeg.295114df788b2a63834ae5d6a2bada8b.jpeg29980A46-8498-44F3-BBA5-B7B9FA2CDBE2.thumb.jpeg.643f0e4454d8fc2ea188bb1c39add1cd.jpegB9C9A30A-A695-494E-8911-7069BD8156A9.thumb.jpeg.5cf01c70daae994ab6513da217ef0dc8.jpeg

many thanks

joanna

14 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

didnt someone here have them film wrapped  and another solution was chrome powder coat  vastly cheaper than re chrome

we have a local spitty with a satin chrome spray can and its surprisingly good    makes it very tidy for peanuts 

Pete

I have been searching for something like that and so far found nothing...

If someone has done this I would love to see it!

43 minutes ago, Mathew said:

Tried a similar type product, from a distance with poor sight maybe! And don't  wipe it as it buffs horribly. 

Likewise. I've tried a couple of brands and both were the same - almost convincing from a distance with bad eyesight but rubs off on contact and pickles the moment you even think about trying a clear coat.

There are places that can apply "mirroring" effect using a powder coating method which is very shiny but I have not seen anyone ever mention longevity or  robustness.

The cost here in Germany is high, nearly 2/3 of "real" chroming ´probably because there are little to no alternatives.

There was an article in the club magazine from many years ago that a guy used foil he bought at a hardware store that he said was passable. No clue how long it lasted...

I reckon a problem is regardless of the method used you have to stop the rust first which means getting to bare metal... right?

Stainless are about £1000 a set, from a quick look at Rimmers' site. They also show what I believe to be original chromed bumpers (front bumper bar, remanufactured) but they're £500 each so no great saving.

Harringtons are under £900:

https://groupharrington.com/product/triumph-spitfire-mk4-gt6-mk3-1500-bumpers/

I had two of the smaller Mk1 Gt6 rear bumpers and overriders rechromed a year or so ago, I suppose not bad quality when finished (they also chromed a petrol cap and it still had marks and scratches)  but they cost around £400. Rechroming or replacement is not going to be cheap unless a good S/H pair turns up.

42 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Stainless are about £1000 a set, from a quick look at Rimmers' site. They also show what I believe to be original chromed bumpers (front bumper bar, remanufactured) but they're £500 each so no great saving.

Harringtons are under £900:

https://groupharrington.com/product/triumph-spitfire-mk4-gt6-mk3-1500-bumpers/

I had two of the smaller Mk1 Gt6 rear bumpers and overriders rechromed a year or so ago, I suppose not bad quality when finished (they also chromed a petrol cap and it still had marks and scratches)  but they cost around £400. Rechroming or replacement is not going to be cheap unless a good S/H pair turns up.

Colin, have you used Harringtones before? Or do you know if they are any good?  They have a set for £200 cheaper than Rimmers. Doesn’t look like the UK company though

18 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

harringtons are in Vietnam

but I have no idea how good the product is 

Pete

I have only seen reports that the fit is good and they look good. Just not as shiny as chrome but more durable...

Supposedly lighter as well..

https://www.jamespaddock.co.uk/spitfire-mkiv-1500to-fh116001gt6mk3-stainless-steel-bumper-set-high-grade-30414301jpg701s

People talk about funny things happening with mobile phones - you talk about something and the next minute it flashes up on your phone - but I logged on to Paddocks this morning and got this recommendation, for an item I'd not looked at on their website, but been discussing recently here and searching for on Google... however the price is moving in the right direction.

8 minutes ago, Joanna K said:

I was told “it’s patina - leave it”, but this doesn’t agree with me 😂  I will postpone this for now, too expensive 

There's a fine line between patina and knackered! My rear bumper has patina, whereas the front is closer to knackered. I've taken the view for the past umpteen years that doing anything other than spraying satin black is to too costly, and I'd rather not go the black bumper route.

Gully

I had the rear bumper of my GT6 rechromed by ACF Howell in Walsall 4 years ago Excellent job for about £300.

I have Harrington stainless bumpers on my TR6, they fit well and look great. No hesitation to recommend either option, rechroming by a decent plating company or Harrington stainless.

Nigel

• Like 1