Beware the Crayonistas, my son

Unkel Kunkel

Crayonista is the term used locally ( though not unique) for a government official who comes  up with hair brained  schemes  often related to road changes with weird shaped and coloured designs.

Crayonistas spend their time with packets of crayons  drawing  colourful but ludicrous and impractical pictures such as  road junctions with a firm belief in “ reclaiming” roads for “ Active travel” ( cyclists and pedestrians or anything  - else without a motor other than electric) is their belief-  and use every available  form of paving  from the catalogue to mix and match , to “make a statement”

From our local crayonistas here is the latest - it is in use ..sort of..

29CDE1C9-289D-4E08-A88B-7F86A417D090.thumb.jpeg.18f3c5751e26b5968b4e3b422f3ea50d.jpeg

Traffic lights and all road markings, there previously have all been done away with to produce a “roundel” (which, well isn’t   round )

Driving across it is  reasonably straightforward, but turning needs improvisation and luck…

Andrew

Is this the new prom at Douglas where they have moved the 120+ year-old horse tram lines because it was thought modern drivers couldn't cope with them? Only marginally better than the initial plan, which was to do away with them entirely, immediately, and without any consultation!

EDIT: I see the prom project is now officially 'finished', even though it is...erm...incomplete! 

You're not alone.

This is a page from a 30+ page proposal submitted to our village council, of which I am a member, last month. Look down along the right to "Déplacement des arrêts de cars" (school bus pick up point) they have suggested grouping the 2 existing ones. One is off the page to the top and is in the court yard of the old school, off the road and access to the building in bad weather. The second is over to the left on the orange triangle marked "6 places sur placette pavés" again off the road and with a bus shelter. Their proposal means that when a bus is there the street is blocked, old village narrow streets. worse still, to meet norms there has to be a barrier on each pavement to stop children running straight onto the road. 'Tant pis' ( it's French so I can get away with it) for the people who live there opposite the church who won't be able to park up to load/unload their car due to the barrier directly in front of their house. Needless to say that proposal was kicked out. Amazing isn't it, 'highly qualified' professionals do that and a rural village council of a retired ex pat, several farmers, a farmers wife/secretary, nurse and a social worker immediately saw the nonsense of it.

img028.thumb.jpg.806028138b813bff7c1a287ac40d3845.jpg

We have a slightly more colourful term, which in its more acceptable form, "They couldnt manage a boozeup in a brewery".

The OP`s drawing does look like it originated in the local primary school`s year 1 "art class" though.

Pete

I thought the quote was "They couldn't organize" that's what I've been guilty of saying when reviewing consultants proposals! eg a bypass on a flowmeter to facilitate it's removal for repair/replacement but they omitted the guard valves on the flowmeter, their response "Oh it's obvious", but the valves weren't included in the Bill of Quantities, & the drawings were signed "authorised for construction"! 

They can f#&- it up with a pencil.    Not so long ago, the M6 at Lancaster, the oldest bit of motorway in the UK, was improved, by a spur that connects it to the Port of Heysham, and a new bridge over the Line.   Inevitably, the spur crosses the main road between Lancaster and Morecambe.   A cloverleaf would have been way OTT, but how has the junction been built? NOT a roundabout. No.   They have built the biggest traffic light controlled junction I have ever seen.

Occupying more ground than a roundabout would have,  it holds up traffic in eight directions, as it has separate phases for straight ahead and for those turning right or left.   Exactly the traffic is that a roundabout keeps moving. 

There are six other junctions on the spur, not as busy, and all but one other are roundabouts.   Crazy.

Returning to Sussex from Leighton Buzzard yesterday in our horsebox, we encountered the Hemel Hempstead version... Saturday afternoon with an expensive load on board (horse).   Not the sort of vehicle to make quick moves in to join the 'cut and thrust' of stroppy shoppers. Only one thing for it, PUSH.        Still took the wrong exit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Roundabout_(Hemel_Hempstead)