1500 flywheels

wimpus

Hi, 

Im in search of another flywheel for my Spitfire 1500.

Now .. mine measures from teeth to teeth (diameter) 30,1cm.

But it has 200.000miles

Friend of mine had one, but ringgear had a number on it.. Dolomite 1500 flywheel and measured 30,5cm

Ive had 2 guys that sell 1500 flywheels not sure if dolly or spitfire.

But also measure 30,4 / 30,5cm.

Also.. Dolomite 1500 was never sold here !

So whats really the difference between them ? 

Easiest thing is to just search for Triumph Spitfire flywheel and see what options come up. Rimmers show two; one with a 7/16 bolt to crank for the UK market and one with a 3/8 bolt fitting for the USA. They don't mention any difference in diameter, though.

I know the ring gear differs between inertia starters and pre-engaged starters; I wonder if that includes the thickness?

45 minutes ago, Anglefire said:

Mine has a Dolly flywheel and pre-engaged starter - that was a nightware when it packed up! Anyway. I do also have a spitfire flywheel in the garage - but it would cost a fortune to send to Belguim. But can measure it up easily enough.

That would be helpfull ! 

I think the flywheel is the same but the ring gear is different.

The Spitty starter really doesn’t work with the Dolly ring gear. The Dolly starter is unique to the Dolly 1500 and thus nearly extinct.

IIRC the easy “tell” is that the chamfer on the teeth faces backwards on the Spit and forward on the Dolly.

Nick

Yes, bigger bolts, but also the “pot clutch” with the ring that makes refacing bloody awkward. Genius design.

9 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

The Dolly starter is unique to the Dolly 1500 and thus nearly extinct.

It is and I had a right game getting a new one sorted - they had to fit a new gear to mine to get it to fit correctly - They being Powerlite in Brierly hill. Luckily not too far from me. Interestingly, they do show the RAC801 as being suitable for many Triumphs - but I suspect its not correct..... Powerlite - Suppliers of Starter Motors and Alternators (powerlite-units.com)