Spitfire Locking Fuel Cap

rogerguzzi

Hello All

I got the idea for this from the TR Register forum.

A man on there makes them but it would not fit Spiity so I got my thinking cap on and copied and modified to suit

Here is the result I still have to machine a groove to take an o/ring in the locking piece and a chamfer or step in the fuel cap at the top so no fumes can escape!

I also fitted a small locating pin so it is a one haded operation to unlock and lock!

I recon it has cost me about £11.50 and Hours of brain and Maching work(still I like the result and still looks the same from the outside and I only have to fit it if I think it is needed (( Touring Foriegn parts?))

Roger

DSC03001.JPG

DSC02986.JPG

DSC02989.JPG

DSC02990.JPG

DSC02995.JPG

DSC02997.JPG

DSC03000.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Mathew said:

Nice idea, it might be the same as locking the doors though? More damage done to the car to get what they want. I'm bound to be set upon for that comment but please don't take it in a bad way. It would stop the opportunity thief just not the one with a long screwdriver or crowbar, poping the whole unit out. With the resulting damage to the deck.

Hello Mathew

I agree it is only to stop opportunist but I never lock the doors on Spity as they would just cut the hood!

Roger

ps I do lock the boot when there is anything worth stealing in there so I can tell the insurance people it was lock and make a full claim!

4 hours ago, Badwolf said:

Hello Badwolf 

The Spitfire one has a different seal so not sure that way would work but looks good if suits the fuel cap you have.

I did mine as I did not fancy the key hole on tr[he outside like the ones at Moss(and the price!)

Fuel Cap, locking, original flip-up, lozenge shape (moss-europe.co.uk)

Roger

22 hours ago, Mathew said:

Nice idea, it might be the same as locking the doors though? More damage done to the car to get what they want. I'm bound to be set upon for that comment but please don't take it in a bad way. It would stop the opportunity thief just not the one with a long screwdriver or crowbar, poping the whole unit out. With the resulting damage to the deck.

I had a WASO locking cap wrenched off. luckily, only damage to cap and not the filler neck.

Also I don't lock doors, as easy to lever front quarter lights anyway, or damage locks?

I was at a show a few years back which was combined with a Family Fun Day and watched groups of young children walk round the cars and try everything they could reach - they pulled up aerials, tried door handles, twisted wing mirrors and tried to remove fuel caps. One wee lad pulled the petrol cap off a Morris Minor then just dropped it on the grass. They probably had absolutely no idea of why they were doing it. I find the WASO caps quite large and ungainly looking but keep a smaller lockable version on the Herald.

Hello All

I have finally finished it!

I bought some 43mm I/D O/Rings and machined a radiused groove into the locking piece and a chamfer and recess in to the main body.

so now when it is shut no fumes should come up the side and the cap seal will still seal if it is not in.

I will probably just leave it in not locked most of the time when the car is not being left in strange places!

Roger

DSC03008.JPG

DSC03005.JPG

13 minutes ago, Mathew said:

Very nice. Couple of questions. Is the tank vented? Some are through the cap. The other is the lock tab, is it slotted to prevent it twisting off the screw and dropping in the tank in use?

Hello Mathew

The tank has a vent on the top which was blocked off(Triumph) but i fitted a hose down and out at back of boot floor

The lock tab has a square hole in it and it fits over a square on the lock I will put a dab of thread lock on the screw when I am sure I have finished it!

I have replace the vented seal(slight spit in it) with a non vented one

Roger

• Like 1