Second hand fuel tank condition (how long is a piece of string)?

daverclasper

I used POR15 on the tank of my Mk1 2.5PI Estate and was initially happy with till I had an issue with the car.
For whatever reason I traced it back to the fuel tank and upon inspection it had sheets of POR15 floating in the petrol.
Obviously I had not done a part of the initial prep correctly, I thought I had followed the instructions to the letter.
Anyway after talking to several people including a seller of the product it is critical that everything goes right in the prep stages otherwise it does not work.
There are plenty of tank sealing products on the market these days so take you pick.

Cannot speak for any of the other Cars BUT My Herald and the old Vitesse, both had the fitted drain plugs, the big issue would be that if neglected, as most will be, they will not be easy to get free, and could even shear off!. A few gallons of petrol on the deck could prove a problem!!.

Mine (drain plug) is actually working, I had it out recently, to inspect the tank with an endoscope, and that too is fortunately is in good "nick". I would intend to perhaps drain the tank should it need to be "laid up"" for any reason. I suppose if one wanted too! a "tap" could be inserted into the Plug, but would then be another part to possibly give trouble!!. "Kiss" is always in my view the better option!.

Pete

I thought I was on a winner with that replacement tank, the lower end was in great nick and the drain plug came off with only a bit of effort. As I've said before, if you're removing it twist against the neck NOT against the tank and that way it won't shear off. I even bought a drain plug for it and was certainly not expecting trouble at the top end... :(

IMG_0736.jpg.de07ee6351d67a332d38bc0b0dec3a9d.jpg  IMG_0739.jpg.f0911c73878bbe2d1c27371a8b467143.jpg

On 06/03/2022 at 06:56, ahebron said:

I used POR15 on the tank of my Mk1 2.5PI Estate and was initially happy with till I had an issue with the car.
For whatever reason I traced it back to the fuel tank and upon inspection it had sheets of POR15 floating in the petrol.
Obviously I had not done a part of the initial prep correctly, I thought I had followed the instructions to the letter.
Anyway after talking to several people including a seller of the product it is critical that everything goes right in the prep stages otherwise it does not work.
There are plenty of tank sealing products on the market these days so take you pick.

Sounds like the usual problem with POR products, not 100% dry when applying. Weird stuff POR15 etc. Dries by reaction to moisture in the atmosphere but apply to a damp spot and off it comes. Likewise if the surface is too smooth!!!!

Dry sharp sand, sharp gravel, lead shot (if you can still get it), dropped inside and 30 minutes strapped on the front of a cement mixer (low revs!!). Yes the prep is key (sorry, pun not intended). I gave my garden gate two coats of POR15 taking extreme care to follow the instructions. The second coat is starting to flake where it was not rubbed down quite as well as I thought. I don't use it now but to start off with, thought it was brilliant and even talked o their counter staff about using their top coat for the bodywork too.