Unused holes in spitfire 1500 engine block

Will Orum

After getting the head off and assessing the damage, I was struck with something that confused me a fair bit.. 

*See attached images*

I initially thought the gasket had blown straight from the coolant channel but on further inspection, I saw that said channel wasn't a channel at all, rather a bore about 10mm deep. 

I pondered it for a while, looked at the head to see if it had any answers, no kind of hole or channel inline with it though. 

I was just wondering if anyone actually knows what this hole is for? My best guess is just a bore to aide with the machining process.

I figured the coolant leaked around the gasket ring and into the bore, then blew out the gasket when it got hot enough. 

Its a bit of a shame about the rusty piston and cylinder, though I don't think it would be too much trouble to fix as most of the engine is coming apart in the near future anyway!

IMG_20220304_184348.jpg

IMG_20220304_193059.jpg

IMG_20220304_193127.jpg

IMG_20220304_193046.jpg

What Is/was an even bigger mystery, is the fact that the Gasket appears to have the holes punched as well, IF the hole serves no purpose then at least the gasket should not have been penetrated hence weakening said Gasket?.

Pete