Dynamator - relay

Ty_bach

Hi, For many years (35) that I have owned my Herald 1200 Convertible, when I have gone out in the evening or on a poor day, I have put up with juggling my power requirements between the heater blower, the wipers and the headlights. I can have two out of the three, but not all three turned on. The dynamo could not handle the load. I recently decided to fit a Dynamator to my +positive earth car. The supplier gave me a relay to wire into the ignition circuit.

Can any one tell me exactly what the relay does as I don't see the point of doing so? 

Martin

Herald 1200 Conv 1966

Thanks Paul, but what  is the relay for, why must it be in the circuit? I understand the fitting of a relay when incorporated into e.g. headlamp circuit or a horn circuit, but I don't understand why the relay should be fitted into the ignition circuit as is suggested in this way.

Apparently its only on +positive earth cars and not -negative earth cars. Why?

Martin

i would hazard a guess its to stop voltage  feed back via the warning lamp circuit when the ignition is off 

all down to how they monitor the charge circuit not the  base car wiring 

unfortunate but a good few have found them expensive and unreliable 

I accept  an alternator does not look like a dynamo but they are cheap reliable and very simple to wire up and fit 

Pete

For the sake of looking like a dynamo these are not worth the hassle.   They run hot and that is their down fall.

Ge a decent alternator go seriously upmarket and get a denso small alternator - it doesn't look like an alternator

Roger

6 minutes ago, Paul H said:

My Dynamator lasted a fortnight albeit  an 1500 mile trip to Ireland . Here’s the replacement which I have yet to fit 

9C73F8FA-EE1E-4FE4-A998-1AEB623749C0.thumb.jpeg.c39b88822fa9dbadba657e6aea9c17f1.jpeg

Paul 

Hello All

That is the type I have on Spitty and I must have done 30,000 to 40,000 miles plenty of power (40amp)

As a bonus you can get at No1 plug easier!

Roger

32 minutes ago, rogerguzzi said:

Hello All

That is the type I have on Spitty and I must have done 30,000 to 40,000 miles plenty of power (40amp)

As a bonus you can get at No1 plug easier!

Roger

Hi Roger , do you carry any spares for the Denso 

Paulb

2 hours ago, Paul H said:

Hi Roger , do you carry any spares for the Denso 

Paulb

Hello Paul

No but I would make sure it is a genuine Nippon Denso not a cheap Chinse copy 

If you look about you will find one for about £100 or less I have fitted one to the Vitesse as well.

I needed the extra output when I went to ITB's EFI as the pump runs all the time at about 8amps which the lucas would do but gets a bit marginal with lights etc.

Plus we like to go to Spain,Portugal and Spa 6 hours etc and I could get one abroad easier!

Roger

ps  The model numbers are16678-64012        10-0211-4730  plus I fitted a nice adjuster makes ajusting the belt just right

DSC09196-002.JPG

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, rogerguzzi said:

Hello Paul

No but I would make sure it is a genuine Nippon Denso not a cheap Chinse copy 

If you look about you will find one for about £100 or less I have fitted one to the Vitesse as well.

I needed the extra output when I went to ITB's EFI as the pump runs all the time at about 8amps which the lucas would do but gets a bit marginal with lights etc.

Plus we like to go to Spain,Portugal and Spa 6 hours etc and I could get one abroad easier!

Roger

ps  The model numbers are16678-64012        10-0211-4730  plus I fitted a nice adjuster makes ajusting the belt just right

DSC09196-002.JPG

The adjuster looks the part . Any chance of further details ?

Paul

I used a S/S turnbuckle from the cable balastrade type I had to shorten the female threaded ends a little and the U shaped brackets at the male ends had to have one lug cut off to mount onto the pump bolt and the alternator to get it short enough but it works a treat easy adjustment and looks smart

Brought the turnbuckle from Bunnings here about 5 quid

• Like 1

20 hours ago, rogerguzzi said:

Hello Paul

I used these people for the adjuster I will measure the size tomorrow.

Metric & Imperial Adjustable Linkages (mcgillmotorsport.com)

Roger.

ps it needs to be right and lefthand threads.

Hello Paul

The middle part is 70mm and 8mm thread and 135mm crs it would go down to 115mm crs and 150mm crs max

I looked at the other turnbuckles but I like things that look engineered (its just me!)

Roger

• Thanks 1