Ford type 9 Clutch in Spitfire mk2

brockie

I have a spitfire4 Mk2 1147cc in which the previous owner installed a Ford Sierra Type 9 5 speed gearbox, which I understand was/is a popular conversion. My problem is that the clutch has now gone kaput so does anyone know if I can simply buy a standard mk2 Spit clutch or is there something else I need to buy. The Canley website, as attached, indicates I have to do something else but they have nothing available to buy. Any help/advice greatly appreciated :)

image.png.a881b19ad448d96fd104830e8a019c35.png

I have the Type 9 gearbox on my GT6 (I much prefer it to the previous, original 4 speed non-OD triumph unit). It’s made  - or perhaps adapted to fit a Triumph - by Frontline Developments.

I bought it as a kit (gearbox, clutch and shortened prop shaft) but they may be able to supply the parts individually.

https://frontlinedevelopments.com/performance-parts/?vehicle_model=triumph

If you've got the drive plate out, then you 'might' be able to source a replacement. People like AP or Borg & Beck issue manuals for cross-reference purposes. Things like diameter, thickness of plate, splines, etc, are the key. Quick tip:- Go to the spares department when it's quiet... Asking for oddball stuff when there's 20+ hairy-ar$ed  fitters awaiting their bits & bobs will normally elicit a blank 'no mate, we don't keep that'.  Ask instead for an old clutch book from the factors. That way, you can go in ready armed, and the existing clutch plate is the ready comparison test. 

Actually, you've done me a favour... I've also got a Type 9 conversion to go in, so I'll be taking serious dimensional notes before I bolt it all together. 

Remember also, that standardised parts  are the norm these days.  The day of 1,000 production runs have long gone. It's more like 1,000,000...  You might need a clutch plate from a Hankee- Zini -Zog 9000 (whatever) but the object is to keep the car on the road. 

I do like this forum, y'know!

Finally, any clutch plate refurbishers about?

Ian.

On 21/03/2022 at 12:59, brockie said:

I have a spitfire4 Mk2 1147cc in which the previous owner installed a Ford Sierra Type 9 5 speed gearbox, which I understand was/is a popular conversion. My problem is that the clutch has now gone kaput so does anyone know if I can simply buy a standard mk2 Spit clutch or is there something else I need to buy. The Canley website, as attached, indicates I have to do something else but they have nothing available to buy. Any help/advice greatly appreciated :)

image.png.a881b19ad448d96fd104830e8a019c35.png

This EBay seller might be able to supply 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-TYPE-9-5-SPEED-GEARBOX-KIT-FOR-TRIUMPH-VITESSE-AND-GT6-/115162584645?mkevt=1&mkcid=16&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0&media=MAILTO&sojTags=media%3Dmedia

Paul

I think it is sensible to see whay clutch is fitted. Canleys have done the legwork, so it may be a 1500 flywheel in wich case find a ford clutch plate.

Otherwise, buy a 14500 flywheel, the collars etc and do it that way.

Plan B, buy a special clutch.

But as said, don't buy anything until you know exactly what you need.