Dizzy Type

Stratton Jimmer

Looks rather like a 45D6, and the id will be facing the block, so you will need to pop it out to confirm. The numbers will confirm where it originates. (used on later Triumph big saloons?)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265594775331?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338268676&toolid=10044&customid=Cj0KCQjwjN-SBhCkARIsACsrBz5quKL5wU1hQfUyV9CEpgud-Z2ixskfpn9Pv_q3o-Iw0fDEIUXoRmkaAuj0EALw_wcB

the revised vac take off i reckon was used when the normal length would cause interference or the vac unit has a damped spring on the outer side 

used in the 80s    unusual for the ad to say bedford as they would generally be ac delco being a GM partner 

certainly has all the looks of 45D6

Pete

4 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

If you can find the serial number / type number I can reference it.

I removed the dizzy and found that it is completely anonymous. There are no numbers or letters to be found anywhere on it. The engine (as I think I mentioned once before) was supplied by Yorkshire Triumphs and is of unknown origin as its serial number had been ground off and the characters PBD001 stamped there in place of the original numbers. Guessing that that might be the initials of either a company or a person, does anyone know of anyone having such initials - PBD?

I think you are spot on in that it is a 45D6 clone exactly like that Powerspark unit. Anyway, I have had the Sixfire running this afternoon and it is sounding pretty good. The Powespark units seem remarkably cheap - less than £70 for their electronic unit complete apparently including VAT and delivery! For now I am sticking with the Pertronix Ignitor 1, Viper 0.7 ohm coil and a red rotor arm. Thanks everyone for your words of wisdom.

15 hours ago, Stratton Jimmer said:

The Powespark units seem remarkably cheap

I bought one for the Herald 1200  a few years back, and it has that off-set vacuum take-off too. I had read other posts on different forums claiming that the advance curves and weights were not correct for the Herald but were simply Landrover base units being sold as Herald items, however I contacted the company and they told me that they're properly set-up units calibrated for each application. I think mine was £45 with the red electronic ignition and rotor fitted.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I bought one for the Herald 1200  a few years back, and it has that off-set vacuum take-off too. I had read other posts on different forums claiming that the advance curves and weights were not correct for the Herald but were simply Landrover base units being sold as Herald items, however I contacted the company and they told me that they're properly set-up units calibrated for each application. I think mine was £45 with the red electronic ignition and rotor fitted.

I have posted before about the ew distributers. It was a club supplied item, and so terrible the car was undrivable. And yes, it ws timed up correctly at idle. Not sure what eventually happened, it did get sent back (and the original worn unit refitted) but the owner has disappeared into the ether. 

So my advice is to check any new distributer. Set the timing, check it gives the full advance at 3000rpm (vac disconnected) and that the vacuum advance works. That would make it about right at least, and takes 5 minutes.

• Like 1