Paint chip crisis

Quack

8 hours ago, NonMember said:

If a car for sale is good and sound but needs a full respray, then a potential buyer may even value it higher than one with a fresh coat of the wrong colour that could be hiding all manner of bodges

That buyer would be me. Unless I was satisfied about the reason it was painted/how good the work (prep, regarding rust etc) was done, I would be very cautious. Sooner buy a car that hadn't been touched for years, and was honest, if it appeared basically sound.

If you are contemplating a sale, Don`t do the paint. As N-M says, you will not get the cost back. and what you potentially lose will not be as much as the cost of the paint job. The other point is valid too, If I was veiwing a fresh paint job there would be the "suspicion" that it could be part of a cover up?.

Pete

On 27/04/2022 at 10:28, Quack said:

I've found one after ringing around, HMG Paint in Andover. They need a piece from my car to match though. Any tips on what i can take off? (herald 13/60)

Well the smallest easily detachable thing will be the drivers side rear valance. Providing your overrider is easily removable that is. After that it should be 5 or 6 self tapping screws. 

Slight change of plan. Noticed a little black patch when the bonnet was up today and scrubbed away sh*t to discover my official colour code was definitely Laurel, so I’ve ordered a touch up paint pot.

if this doesn’t match up due to colour fading and such, then I will simply decide that I no longer care.

4A0EC5AE-60FC-4DD6-82C7-D00FF0165DF9.jpeg

46 minutes ago, PeteH said:

If you are contemplating a sale, Don`t do the paint. As N-M says, you will not get the cost back. and what you potentially lose will not be as much as the cost of the paint job. The other point is valid too, If I was veiwing a fresh paint job there would be the "suspicion" that it could be part of a cover up?.

Pete

It’s really interesting to hear many of you have this opinion, I would have never thought this to be the case. Good news though, I’ll simply keep the paint job as it is and fix minor dings

I really would not worry about the paintwork.

The car is 50 plus years old. It is never going to be perfect, and unless it is supposed to be concours is not going to affect value.

My Mk3 Spitfire is covered in sticker rash, don't see it as a problem.

4 minutes ago, Quack said:

My dreadful attempt lol…not much of an artist 😂 what’s the best way to smooth these bumps out and blend them in once dried? Polish?

0EA922A5-4C06-4FD9-8983-41BCEA7E1DB3.jpeg

There’s a lot of orange peel there plus surface marks . You might to be able to recover with wet n dry starting with 400 grit then 600, 800, maybe 1000grit  then I use Farecia FinishingG10, then G3 liquid compound then G3 wax 

Paul 

Yeah the paint job has never been great anyway, not too bothered about that more just the bumps of paint I’ve added, sanding concerns me because it messes up the paintwork and I don’t know how to reapply the finish to get it shiny again 

There's a tool you can buy which holds a razor blade flat with the surface you push it over. The idea is that it slices off the bumps of paint, leaving a very-nearly-flat surface that can be polished. Frost sell them - they're for runs and sags and named appropriately, though I forget what exactly they're called.

42 minutes ago, NonMember said:

There's a tool you can buy which holds a razor blade flat with the surface you push it over. The idea is that it slices off the bumps of paint, leaving a very-nearly-flat surface that can be polished.

Seems a daft question, but would a general razor not approach that?

4 hours ago, daverclasper said:

Seems a daft question, but would a general razor not approach that?

Possibly, but they're not exactly high precision. You rely on the flexibility of your skin and your sensitivity to how it feels, neither of which are available on painted metal. The run razor has an adjusting screw so that you can run it over the bump a couple of times and trim it to the level you need.