Herald 13/60 accelerator cable length?

Colin Lindsay

I bought a cable to replace the old one from the 13/60 which due to corrosion I cut off in removing it from the car in January, so can't measure it.

New one is so short it won't even reach the carb or protrude from the outer covering - about 37 inches.

I had a longer one lying in the Estate so tried that - it's about 47 inches but when attached to the carb it won't reach the pedal and when attached to the pedal will only attach to the carb when the carb lever is pulled up almost fully. Can't drive like that...

I've found a nice stainless version, must have had spare cash in the past, and it's 63 inches so will fit BUT: I'm desperately trying to work out why the other cable will not reach the pedal. The system is so simple there's no way I've fitted the pedal in the wrong place, at least not 12 inches too far away... :)

Anyone know the correct length for a factory 13/60 accelerator cable?

Just now, Chris A said:

that's the part number I ordered from Pa

what did i press,

I ordered that part from Paddocks some time ago, 2016, and work fine. In fact it'll get another use this pm as I take the car out to do a couple of errands.

Got a replacement cable from Halfords this morning, stainless steel and cost £6.99. I suspect that's what the other one is, too, as the Halfords one is over two metres long...

I always get suspicious when an original part doesn't fit, usually along the lines of: what have I done wrong this time?

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I always get suspicious when an original part doesn't fit, usually along the lines of: what have I done wrong this time?

With me its more likely I find I have a bolt/nut/screw left over at the end . . .

Thanks Jeff; I've sorted it. See the way your cable enters through the bulkhead? Mine's different. The cable outer doesn't go through - it should - so this means i had too much outer above the bulkhead and none below hence the longer cable required to clear the outer sheath. Now... how to solve it. Full pics on my Herald Restoration thread.

12 hours ago, Jeffds1360 said:

Gotcha. Yes, I read the other thread too and see the difference.  Sorry about the name swap!..... Chemo brain :)

Never noticed!! Don't know what my excuse is, then...

However: do you know where the cable clip actually fits along the line?

18 minutes ago, Jeffds1360 said:

Clio? Clip I do not recognise?? Do not seem to have a clip on my throttle cable ???

Cannot double check 'cos I'm in oncology for a few hours just now. Got my days mixed :)

Mine doesn't have one either. The part number is 609729, depending on the supplier as to availability. The clip looks a bit like those used to hold seat covers to the frame. I have tried one type from my stock of bits, it didn't hold, the cable has never come off the pedal. Having said that . . .. Maybe time to try again. 

The old cable  that I removed from my Vitesse had an adjuster and ferrule where it entered the cabin on the horizontal part of the bulkhead. Probably non standard. Looked like a Triumph 5TA Speed Twin motorcycle cable. Replacement was way too long and my foot kept fouling the part above the floppy pedal. Fitting a drop down pedal from a Spitfire has been a worthy mod. Smoother and longer travel throttle. I did post piccy's a while back.

8 hours ago, Chris A said:

Mine doesn't have one either. The part number is 609729, depending on the supplier as to availability. The clip looks a bit like those used to hold seat covers to the frame. I have tried one type from my stock of bits, it didn't hold, the cable has never come off the pedal. Having said that . . .. Maybe time to try again. 

It's not the pedal clip, but a clip that holds the cable to the bodywork somewhere along the line. The pedal clip is very very small and hard to replace with anything else.

10 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

The pedal clip is very very small and hard to replace with anything else.

I managed it, eventually, today. I don't know what the clip is called but used to hold leather etc to a seat frame. I had to put it in a G clamp and squash it so it did grip the pedal. I'll take a couple of photos of a clip tomorrow.

Here's my pennyworth from my 68 Mk2 Vitesse, which I've had 52 years. Now I've not modified the cable inner or outer sheath in any way I have replaced the original thin rubber washer under the brass bulkhead ring clip with a cable grommet, so I've obviously drilled the hole thro the bulkhead slightly larger. Why did I fit the cable grommet so as to stop any water ingress thro the bulkhead and better grip locate the brass clip which is locked/crimped to the outer sheath. The cable is original, note how much of the outer sheath protrudes into the cabin right down to the top of the pedal, also note how long the brass locating ring/sleeve is it protrudes quite a way thro the bulkhead.

I modified my daughters Mk2 Spit throttle from rod and lever to bike cable and the later MkIV/1500 pedal eons ago, I used a similar cable grommet thro the horizontal bulkhead and crimped on a retaining clip to stop the outer cable pulling thro, I left around 1in free inner cable from the outer sheath to the to the pedal cable mounting.

Colin ref your earlier bulkhead and the tube/nipple fixture, do you want to retain the earlier bulkhead style on the later 13/60 model or retain the cars 13/60 theme, I think I'd cut off the nipple close to the bulkhead and drill out its remainder from the bulkhead  & modify to the later type cable setup with a good length of the outer sleeve protruding into the cabin, whether all the way to the pedal etal my Vitesse or as you see fit, There's plenty of ways to lock a locating clip on the outer sheath, you could remove a short length of the plastic outer protection and solder a retaining ring on, or crimp/dimple the ring on, or maybe a simple cable tie to the outer sheath but that's a bit heath robinson!

Throttle cable mounting thro top of Bulkhead, note brass locating ring.JPG

Throttle Cable fitting thro underside of Bulkhead.JPG

Throttle cable fitting at Pedal note length of outer sheath.JPG