Rear bearing

cliff.b

47 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

youre cheating    its OFF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   

many need to be left on tight overnight hoping its popped of by the morning 

others bounce and chase the thing for hours 

next you will be telling us the shaft just fell out the bearing .......oh so simple     NOT   for the rest of us     some jobs are fight it to a standstill

luck you 

Pete

I just used my longer bar on the socket, wound it up fairly tight, tapped it with a hammer a few times kept turning and then, CRACK, it was free 😁

12 hours ago, cliff.b said:

I just used my longer bar on the socket, wound it up fairly tight, tapped it with a hammer a few times kept turning and then, CRACK, it was free 😁

That's how it worked the first few times I used one of those pullers, on cars that were less than thirty years old.

old   school......used to tap one end so the opposite rises enough to grip it 

if that fails a sharp like a wood chisel angled to get under the  exposed end and tap it upwards 

if it gets a bit chimbles a file would normally tidy it up or fit a new one 

some heat on the shaft would expand the slot a little 

pete

yes looks time for a change! But as Pete says dont do this....

Needs a narrow old flat blade screwdriver to get in the slot and under the key so that it can be tapped out. Patience is always good as in leaving it days with penetrating fluid but most people cant wait more than 5 minutes😂

IMG_1721.thumb.jpg.1b71bf2d8ef5ed60914339fbe9d1d5aa.jpg.77bfe8b688a25bd0f3a13f008935edd1.jpg

1 minute ago, johny said:

Looks like its been there a long time?

I presume the needle bearing surface isn't acceptable either.

Looking at the bearing, I can't believe there was virtually no noise and I only found this through noticing the grease coming out and then the temp. 

looks like a grinder been used to remove a bearing plus the needle rollers have skidded from lack of lube at sometime. Then theres heavy wear from the seal or something so yes treat yourself to a new one which probably all come from the same source....

2 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

as a 1500 i guess you have the long shafts  ????

did you know there are two lengths available  ???  they do get mixed up  

Yes, I asked for a long one and specified it was for a 1500 so hopefully will be correct. I will measure it up though lol

34 minutes ago, johny said:

Looks like its been there a long time?

It does look like an old wound and if so, it has obviously been fitted like that.

Wondering now if, once this is sorted, I should strip down the other side and inspect it 🤔

I was going to say maybe a winter job and enjoy the summer but if the Persuader has to be returned I suppose its best to use it now.

However if you need a second shaft will it be easier to get the cost authorised by the 'accountant' by waiting a while😂