Rear bearing

cliff.b

4 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

Many would be amazed the test of whats in the  reservoir is upto 60% water in 2 years 

Surely you would see a substantial increase in reservoir level if that amount of moisture has entered the system😁

if it was that obvious we would all know  somethings going on   

i guess there is some change in volume but its off set by levels dropping as friction wears down 

we had to test all our stock  trucks in storeage as they can sit around for ages and the results were alarming  

the reservoir has to vent so any temperature changes allows moist air in thro' the cap vent holes as the resv  breathes 

probably you can reduce the breathing if the resv. is filled so less air volume to breathe 

Pete

50 minutes ago, johny said:

Surely you would see a substantial increase in reservoir level if that amount of moisture has entered the system😁

I don’t know the exact behaviour of brake fluid and water in this scenario, but mixing two liquids of volumes A and B ml does not necessarily result in a volume of A+B ml. Especially when one liquid is water as the hydrogen bonding results in all sorts of interesting behaviour!

1 hour ago, johny said:

Im no expert but common sense says

Common sense is often highly misleading

1 hour ago, Josef said:

mixing two liquids of volumes A and B ml does not necessarily result in a volume of A+B ml

Exactly this! Especially if liquid B is soluble in liquid A, you can get almost no expansion at all from adding liquid B up to saturation point.

• Like 1

ok think I have a bit more from the wonderful internet:

brake fluid becomes saturated with water at around 3.7% by volume which is why this is the recommended limit for its use. After this point the water is free and so can boil to produce steam which of course is compressible and so potentially dangerous in a hydraulic pressure system.

It follows that once the fluid is saturated any additional water entering the system will increase the total fluid volume but that additional amount so I think we can safely say that 60% there will be a substantial increase in reservoir fluid level👍

What Im not sure about is whether brake fluid remains hydroscopic and continues to attract more moisture even once its fully saturated....

2 hours ago, johny said:

Interesting, right I think a bit of experimentation is required. Ive got some old brake fluid so I'll add 60% by volume of water to it, mix and see what volume I end up with and report back...

Am I understand g this correctly? If you add 60% water by volume, the total volume will increase by the amount added, whether the original liquid absorbs the water or not?

Johny you’re right, the best way is experimentation! For a proper test though you would need fresh brake fluid from a sealed bottle. Otherwise it will have absorbed some water from the atmosphere. Though that’ll be a few % and whatever you have to measure with with at home is not likely to be accurate enough for you to have a small enough measurement error for it to matter.

Properly, saturation is the point when no more of a substance will dissolve in another. If you make a cup of tea and keep putting sugar in and stirring till you can still see the sugar sitting at the bottom, you’ve saturated your tea with sugar. For brake fluid this term must be being used to describe the point at which it needs replacing (my chemistry knowledge tells me you must be able to mix more than 4% water with brake fluid, but here’s some evidence - a paper describing boiling point vs water content for DOT3 here - they test up to 10% water content).

BW the point I was making is that chemistry of materials is complicated, if you have 60ml of one liquid and add 60ml of another, it’s unlikely you’ll end up with 120ml of liquid in the end (same applies to mixing liquids and solids, and even sometimes solids and solids).

1 hour ago, Badwolf said:

If you add 60% water by volume, the total volume will increase by the amount added, whether the original liquid absorbs the water or not?

No. You can only take that simple "add the volumes" approach with liquids that don't mix or interact. If they mix by dilution then the molecules of the two liquids bind closer than the pure molecules of each separately, and so the density increases and volume decreases. In an extreme case, the second set of molecules may bind so closely to the first that they perform a chemical reaction, and the volume after adding can be the same as the volume of one part.

Yes I can see that up to saturation the water actively combines with the brake fluid but after that point its free water which is what makes it a greater risk in brake systems. Also, as you say, up to saturation its difficult to calculate how the total volume will be affected by the entry of moisture however when the water is free its not chemically part of the brake fluid so any volume change should be as normal.

As in Josef's paper theres nothing to stop more free water being added (because water is miscible with mineral brake fluid) giving a corresponding volume increase and further detrimental effect on boiling point.

Moisture testing should be in the MOT test! Well I see Spain (and rest of EU?) is now insisting that the tyres on an axle must be identical so why not?

Its got to be same make, model, size and pattern so you damage a tyre and cant find exactly the same one you chuck both - great for the environment and of course the tyre manufacturers...  

Wonder what the reasoning is behind that? If a tyre is correct for the make and model, plus presumably the speed and road conditions, then minimal variations in tread pattern wouldn't make much if any difference. Different tyre pressures on the same axle would probably have more impact, will they test pressure next?

Ok, to get back to the original thread, I have now inspected the RHS rear assembly and all looks good. Also, it is correctly assembled with the seal housing on the inside of the back plate and the grease trap on the outside. I greased it and eventually, old grease came out of the hole in the lower back plate, as expected.

Thinking back to last year, the LHS, which had the grease trap fitted incorrectly, dumped the grease I was pumping into the brake hub. So now I understand why. There was nowhere else for it to go.

Also, having seen that happen I was careful not to put too much in the RHS which is possibly why it needed quite a lot now 🤔

Hopefully, both sides now happy, for a while at least 🤞

the oil seal behind the back plate should containt the grease until it starts to fail   so if it exuded grease via the drain hole the main seal could be looking for replacement soon

it should ooze out the drive shaft seal  

on service it recomends 4 pumps to re lube it    ( 4 pumps from what is not given) 

but for now happy motoring for a while 

Pete

2 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

the oil seal behind the back plate should containt the grease until it starts to fail   so if it exuded grease via the drain hole the main seal could be looking for replacement soon

it should ooze out the drive shaft seal  

on service it recomends 4 pumps to re lube it    ( 4 pumps from what is not given) 

but for now happy motoring for a while 

Pete

😒