Rear bearing

cliff.b

1 hour ago, johny said:

yes dont think you can get the yokes for the driveshaft on their own as believe theyre pressed on so difficult to do at home...

Yes, when I said yoke I probably should have said flange. 

In hindsight, I should have ordered a driveshaft and a flange but wasn't to know until I started fitting it.

Before we leave this subject, I enlisted the help of Mrs Cliff to assist in bleeding the brakes and I was confused because despite me shouting out up and down several times and her shouting back a confirmation, there was no sign of any fluid appearing.

Lifted the bonnet to check the fluid level and it hadn't moved.

Asked her if the pedal was difficult to depress and she said it was very easy. 

Told her to try again but didn't open the bleed nipple and it still went to the floor easily.

At this point I got up and went round to the passenger door, sighed and informed her that she had her foot on the clutch 🙄

It wasn't her fault though, it was because the stupid car had the pedals in the wrong place 🤨

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, cliff.b said:

That is what I have done so time will tell.

If you elimiated the endfloat, used Loctite and there are no clicking noises now, you are going to be ok.

I get paranoia after all of these jobs especially as I have a 2500 engine delivering power through these shafts designed for far less torque. The pin securing the yoke to the spline on the drive-shaft looks too small for the job too. This never worried me in the 1970's, so why now?

1 minute ago, Wagger said:

If you elimiated the endfloat, used Loctite and there are no clicking noises now, you are going to be ok.

I get paranoia after all of these jobs especially as I have a 2500 engine delivering power through these shafts designed for far less torque. The pin securing the yoke to the spline on the drive-shaft looks too small for the job too. This never worried me in the 1970's, so why now?

Yes, there are many things that concern me now that I wouldn't have given a second thought to when I was young.

Most of it can be explained by having been mostly in a state of blissful ignorance and having complete and utter confidence in my own invulnerability.

Oh, and beer 🙂

Just now, cliff.b said:

Yes, there are many things that concern me now that I wouldn't have given a second thought to when I was young.

Most of it can be explained by having been mostly in a state of blissful ignorance and having complete and utter confidence in my own invulnerability.

Oh, and beer 🙂

My trusty mobile mechanic once spent 2 hrs looking for a hole for the bolt left over from a cambelt change on a Fiat Ducato. Never found it and it is still going strong 4 years on. We are not alone.

38 minutes ago, cliff.b said:

It wasn't her fault though, it was because the stupid car had the pedals in the wrong place

No, it has the pedals in the right place. It's just that most modern cars have this great big intrusive wheel arch preventing them from putting the accelerator where it should be, so everything's one place to the left. 😛

11 minutes ago, NonMember said:

No, it has the pedals in the right place. It's just that most modern cars have this great big intrusive wheel arch preventing them from putting the accelerator where it should be, so everything's one place to the left. 😛

You are welcome to "discuss" this with her if you want to 🙉

31 minutes ago, Wagger said:

The drive shafts just need to be stronger than the diff. It's a safety feature lol

26 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

Easiest thing to do with a novice assistant is simply to put tape  on the pedal of your choice and write on it in large friendly letters... "this one please".

Or use 9 year old granddaughter instead 

Having no choice of assistants these days, as they are now distributed across the planet. I indulged myself in a vaccuum self bleed kit👍. The main advantage being it does not argue back. Unlike 14 year old female assistants, with "attitude" and i-phone in one hand!.

Pete

12 minutes ago, PeteH said:

Having no choice of assistants these days, as they are now distributed across the planet. I indulged myself in a vaccuum self bleed kit👍. The main advantage being it does not argue back. Unlike 14 year old female assistants, with "attitude" and i-phone in one hand!.

Pete

Yes, this one is only 9 so still interested and keen to help. I'm sure it won't last but she has a younger brother who may be trainable 🤔

15 minutes ago, PeteH said:

Pete

Can you advise details please 

Paul

i have a number of pressure bleed kits from air to electric but i always use simple long bleed hose , have the catch jar up high well  above the brake

plug the end of the tube and slit with a stanley blade a slit 25mm long in the tube   this makes a nice one way valve

and just pump down quick back slow  top up and jobs done with no tooling to clean up 

Pete

I'm with Peter but it still requires the glamorous assistant unless you can watch the tube yourself and reach the bleed nipple before air gets back in.

A certain female who I will not embarrass explained to our last TSSC monthly meeting why she hates doing it: "It's all in and out, in and out, up and down, up and down, him putting it in one end and it coming out the other, he's complaining that I'm not doing it hard enough, and it tires my legs."

I've also got a vacuum kit but don't really trust it.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Paul H said:

Can you advise details please 

Paul

I think it is from Sealy?. Connects to the airline, which provides the vac; and so far has done full fluid replacement on several cars and an American R-V. Since I lost Braking on a hill with 9tonne of Camper, because the fluid was boiling, a real "brown trouser" moment!. I am a bit "anal" to say the least about replacing fluid at frequent intervals!.

So far, I have never had to repeat the bleed, so I guess it works well?. Did the P-107. last June? when the rear pads got replaced. The Sprinter is the next I suspect, It`s fluid was last changed on warranty 30K service by Mercedes.

Pete

• Thanks 1

you can buy fluid moisture content meters/for less than £10 

and its std practice to change fluid DOT4 /every two years (incl Dot3 and Dot5.1)

Dot5 does not absorb moisture but it can be lurking in the system and it sinks to the lowest parts so you cant test for it 

Many would be amazed the test of whats in the  reservoir is upto 60% water in 2 years 

When the pads heat the caliper content it turns the moisture to gas/vapour  and the pedal hits the floor   just when you need it most 

dont short cut  on fluid changes   its age , not miles that matters here 

Pete