Rear bearing

cliff.b

3 minutes ago, johny said:

I was going to say maybe a winter job and enjoy the summer but if the Persuader has to be returned I suppose its best to use it now.

However if you need a second shaft will it be easier to get the cost authorised by the 'accountant' by waiting a while😂

I divorced about 15 years ago and subsequently re-married, since when I have done my own "accountancy" 🙂

well 

19 minutes ago, cliff.b said:

And another thing, I believe it was assembled incorrectly.

After the hub came off there was the back plate, then a gasket, then the grease trap followed by the seal housing.

so the grease trap was between backplate and bearing housing! Ha wouldnt have thought thats possible😂

Yes perhaps best to look at other side without delay.... 

34 minutes ago, johny said:

well 

so the grease trap was between backplate and bearing housing! Ha wouldnt have thought thats possible😂

Yes perhaps best to look at other side without delay.... 

Yes, and I want to see if that stopped it working properly. Certainly no grease came out of it when I was trying to put more in

Looking at it Cliff are you sure about the grease trap positioning as it would be partially crushed if bolted between housing and backplate?

However as discussed the grease should come out of the shaft seal but as your bearing ran so hot a lot of grease had probably been lost and then it would take a lot more grease to refill the chamber...

there is a problem with many techy illustrations in Parts and WSM that have all the right parts but not always 

shown in the right order (who said that ) 

all my manuals and parts lists show the back plate it is  sandwhiched between the oil seal hsg. and the outer grease  catcher   

im also puzzled how that all fits  its been a good few years since i did one 

Pete

45 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

there is a problem with many techy illustrations in Parts and WSM that have all the right parts but not always 

shown in the right order

True, but in this case the illustration is correct (well, apart from implying the bearing is outboard of the gasket but since it fits through it that doesn't matter much). I, too, cannot see how it would fit the wrong way.

57 minutes ago, johny said:

Looking at it Cliff are you sure about the grease trap positioning as it would be partially crushed if bolted between housing and backplate?

However as discussed the grease should come out of the shaft seal but as your bearing ran so hot a lot of grease had probably been lost and then it would take a lot more grease to refill the chamber...

When I removed the back plate the gasket, the grease trap & the cover came away stuck to the back of it and had to prised off with a screwdriver

4 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

should be about flush   is there the remains of some previous seal holding you out or the needle roller cadge is not seated or  its too long  

Pete

It looks like it's butting up against the ridge of the needle bearing housing.

Does this look rightIMG_20220616_190608_664.thumb.jpg.b364586c34165a3bde91b9288258782f.jpg

4 minutes ago, johny said:

The manual shows quite a bit of seal sticking out and itll only go in up to the shoulder in the housing....

hub.pdf 551.28 kB · 2 downloads

Yes, it says the recess is 1/2" and the oil seal is 5/8" so it would prodtrude at least 1/8". This is slightly more than that. I will take another look tomorrow and see if it will seat any further.

Many thanks.

9 minutes ago, Stratton Jimmer said:

You could hear it with the roof up or down. Jacking the wheel and rotating it by hand You could feel the grating.

As you will have seen, things have moved on now. The ball race is destroyed, most of the needle bearing has disappeared and the drive shaft is trashed.

Consequently, I am really surprised that there was so little noise. Could just about hear it with the hood up and not at all when down. 

I'm glad I investigated further