Rear bearing

cliff.b

The cirlips should hold the cup tight against the spider, circlips of different thickness where/are available, but do ensure that the circlip is fully in its groove. If the cups are fitted with end float you will get a knocking sound when driving, if a needle roller has fallen over the circlip will not fit. 

Bit slow two others beat me.

Regards

Paul.

2 minutes ago, NonMember said:

UJs on drive shafts are supposed to be tight. If the cups have gone in far enough to fit the circlips then you're unlikely to have dropped a needle

That's what I was thinking. It does move but tighter than I was expecting. I haven't changed one in over 40 years and couldn't remember if it's supposed to be like that.

15 minutes ago, johny said:

Looks good, where did you get the new shaft in the end Cliff

Fitchett's. Turned up about 9:30 this morning. Just a shame that the other stuff that I decided to replace at the same time hasn't come yet so I can't finish it 🤨

Check the gap in the fitted circlip ends compared to a similar one not in the groove by trying to fit a second one.

I tested mine using a socket small enough to fit within the fitted circlips, placing it in the vice and trying force it through.

16 minutes ago, Wagger said:

Check the gap in the fitted circlip ends compared to a similar one not in the groove by trying to fit a second one.

I tested mine using a socket small enough to fit within the fitted circlips, placing it in the vice and trying force it through.

Yes, that's a good idea 👍

the one side has been quite an easy strip and rebuild , you know that now you have all the 

experience that the other side will defeat all you have learnt and everything will be a fight to the death

its a Classic  they sit out there and listen  to you ...then get their own   back on  the unsuspecting lover of the........... blasted thing 

which just reminded me of the 2000 lower ball joint O/S just poped out took 10 minutes  the N/S nah  bang and bounce the thing all round the workshop

and 2 hours of pressing and fighting   i won in the end  but they are crafty at quietly exasperating common sense and the wallet    its called   FUN 

pete

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, johny said:

Hmmm it must be quite loose if its spinning before even being fitted. Is the circlip tight up against the cap or could a thicker one or spacer be fitted?

The old circlips are about 0.15mm thicker so I could try fitting one or two of those I suppose. 

Just to clarify, is it the pressure from the clips or the tightness of the cap in the hole that stops them spinning, because the opposite one isn't.