Key Light

Colin Davies

I have fitted a new loom, it has a key light bulb holder. The old loom did not have this, thus far I have not located a hole in which it will mount. Searched all around the ignition switch but not found!

Can anyone please advise?

Thank you, Colin.

Just now, Colin Davies said:

I have fitted a new loom, it has a key light bulb holder. The old loom did not have this, thus far I have not located a hole in which it will mount. Searched all around the ignition switch but not found!

Can anyone please advise?

Thank you, Colin.

Gt6 mk3

Guessing it's the same as the MkIV Spitfire...in which case it just seems to hang there with no hold it will reach that it will fit in!

Of course that problem goes away when you just snip the bulb holder off and re-wire the circuit to stick on 12v LED strips stuck to the bottom of the parcel trays (and give you better footwell illumination than a candle in a jam jar in the next village).

Yes, the original is a bracket hanging off the steering wheel clamp, a clumsy and overly large protrusion. However I relocated my lamp to the tripometer reset knob hole and let the reset dangle. A much better spread of light.

Doug

The full set of parts is shown in the parts manual on Plate S15 (06-05):

Bulb holder - 508139

Bracket - 627318

Bulb - GLB987

As Non-Member noted above, Plate T17(06-27) only has it shown as a LHD part, but above it's universal.

Gully

6 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Yes, the original is a bracket hanging off the steering wheel clamp, a clumsy and overly large protrusion. However I relocated my lamp to the tripometer reset knob hole and let the reset dangle. A much better spread of light.

Doug

The light bracket on mine is located close to the trip reset, with both secured in place.

Gully 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I think the original bulb was just a courtesy light, not specifically lock-orientated.

Well, given that it was added - alongside the existing roof light - to Mk3 GT6s when the ignition key was moved from the dashboard to the footwell, it's not unreasonable to suppose it was done to illuminate the lock so the driver could find it to put the key in.

1 hour ago, NonMember said:

it's not unreasonable to suppose it was done to illuminate the lock so the driver could find it to put the key in.

You could see it, but you couldn't reach it if you had your seat belt on. That's why they invented inertia reels.

Doug

2 hours ago, NonMember said:

Well, given that it was added - alongside the existing roof light - to Mk3 GT6s when the ignition key was moved from the dashboard to the footwell, it's not unreasonable to suppose it was done to illuminate the lock so the driver could find it to put the key in.

That's true, but what I meant was that it's not key-dedicated ie in a shroud to narrow the beam to the key alone, or as part of the lock assembly to illuminate the key slot only.

Yeh, mine illuminates the footwell, I put a green LED in for Halloween, I  liked it so much it's still there. Matches the instrument lights which are also green. However the ceiling light was a bit too much green so that's back to white.

Doug