Exhaust studs…please can someone direct me

AlanT

Pretty certain we are talking about the studs that join the manifold to the exhaust, which are supposed to be UNC where they screw into the manifold and UNF where the nuts fit, hence the suggestion going UNC UNC.

For the studs in the cylinder head they   are supposed to be UNF UNF, and as UNF UNC are readily available they are an easy swap to be able to use bronze nuts there too.

In John's original link, they were clearly UNC - as per the description https://arthurbeale.co.uk/products/silicon-bronze-nuts?currency=GBP&variant=35997872095390&stkn=6486993b0c0f&gclid=Cj0KCQiAgqGrBhDtARIsAM5s0_k3xor9WHORcIw1pZJh2nqa7V2JWk-GcA499gIQwlRtXRCX4pgUBKMaAtDKEALw_wcB

I suspect that they are also UNC in the 2nd link, as all the bolts listed to go with the nuts are UNC, but the listing is really confusing - https://www.classic-marine.co.uk/product-category/silicone-bronze-screws-copper-nails/bronze-fasteners/

• Thanks 1

The bronze discussion is about downpipe nuts which are UNF. No, I'm not going metric as I'm spending a lot of time removing the PO's various bodges, and there's nothing worse than having mix-'n'-match fastenings when there's a specification in the manual. I'll report back when I've made some bronze UNF nuts.

More practicality than originality. Coming across something that ALMOST fits a spanner and doesn't quite because what the manual said was 1/2" is 13mm is not fun to my mind. I don't have room for a metric set of spanners in the kit as well, and appreciate being able to use the same AF three for almost everything! Oh, and BA is my favourite thread so a cute set of those is a must for electrical work...

• Like 1

You don't have room .....

What?  You carry a complete tool kit in the boot?  Like some on the RBRR?

Better that a hundred weight of cement to lower your suspension!

There is a supplier of bronze 5/16" Unf nuts but they want £40 PLUS(!!!) £56 P&P (!!!!!!!) for 25 of them (!!!!!!!!!!) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172704858218

But fear not!  Spalding Fasteners are your friends! See https://www.spaldingfasteners.co.uk/unf-thread-brass-manifold-nuts-5-16-3-8-7-16/

You see?  I told you!  There is always a way!

John

I have a 'car' cantilever toolbox in the shed as I need to carry it around to where the car is. It has Imperial spanners in. There's an AF roll in the car (in African wax print) which brings me joy.

Yes, I mentioned the eBay ones earlier, as did Mjit. I think we all agree they're not worth it when I have a bronze hex bar on the desk.

I don't know why you're mentioning Spalding Fasteners now - I think we're going round in circles! I refer you to the previous page:

On 19/07/2022 at 16:56, JohnD said:

Brass nuts?   Brass is far too soft a metal.   You need bronze!

Edited by Morgana

2 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I do like Spalding Fasteners, they come up with a lot of good stuff for my Heralds. As for tools, I carry three UNF spanners (9/16, 1/2 and 7/16) all else can be sorted with a few screwdrivers, pliers and a roll of tape. Oh and some cable ties.

Does that include a Birmingham screwdriver.

Regards

Paul

2 hours ago, 68vitesse said:

Does that include a Birmingham screwdriver.

Regards

Paul

Actually, no. There's bound to be something at the roadside that can deliver the necessary percussive maintenance, but if there's any kind of house nearby they always have a hammer. A half-inch long-reach thin-wall 1/4 drive socket does often meet with a few blank stares, though.

When it come to spanners, I have an extremely "eclectic" collection, ranging BA, Whit, AF,Metric. O/E and Ring, straight and offset, and several "modified" spanners for special purposes, which fit no known standardisation, add to that several large(ish) "flogging" spanners. Somewhere I believe, I still have a genuine Rail Fish Plate spanner. Offset O.E with a 4ft spiked handle, the spike is to align the plates. Sockets come in Long, short, 1/2- 3/8 and 1/4" drive and even 1/2 Hexagon drive. size ranged from 0BA and right up to 1" drive X 2-3/4" AF. Over the years, my two sons have raided the more popular ones, and "lost" them, on many occasions. Now I live too far away, so don`t lose as many!😁 Up my neck of the woods we had Manchester Screwdrivers, but that is probably a hangover from the war of the roses?. They come in 2oz, 1/2Lb 1Lb 2Lb, "Lump" and 7LB (short shaft) 14Lb full. The 28Lb sledge, didn`t make it during a House move. The "go to" emergency fixits include superglue and gaffer tape. Self Amalgamatiing Tape can be an electrical lifesaver too.

My family keep telling me they are dreading clearing the workshop garage, when I fall off my twig. Even MY grandads Shipwrighting tools are still there. Might be worth a bob or two now? Oh! and the 1945 Drummond Lathe, forerunner of Myford, still working but now rather tired.

Pete

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/12/2023 at 10:05, chrishawley said:

That's a great find, chrishawley! Your Google-fu is better than mine. I can however imagine some members might baulk at sending money to the MG register!

Too late, however - I made these and they are ready to be tested before cleaning up... They're phosphor bronze rather than the aluminium bronze in your link. I wonder what the difference might be. This was not the easiest to machine. Quite 'bitey'.

bronze unf.jpg

Edited by Morgana

With three blown downpipe gaskets in 18 months of ownership, I am fed up with stripping brass nuts trying to get a seal! Now I've found the downpipe ought to have another bracket on to steady it, I hope these ones will tighten up and not need to come off any time soon...

On 11/12/2023 at 14:22, Morgana said:

This was not the easiest to machine. Quite 'bitey'.

Never was, Even on Comercial machines. Part of the issue is getting the cutting tool ground and set up "right". A tool "set" for steel, for example, will not cut P-B at all well. It`s better than 50 years or more since I last ground up tools for cutting. But the "old" tools where, In My view, easier to work with on small batch work.

Pete

Brass lathe tools had a 90 degree face. (Zero rake?) Were those for bronze similar?

Phosphor Bronze was used for plain bearings,  so may be (sort of) self lubricating making machining tricky.

On my 1600/6 in the 1970's, I replaced all three studs with nuts and bolts after removing the manifold and drilling out the studs. I ground a large flat on the bolt heads so that I did not need two spanners. They did not rotate when fitting the nuts.