NOS Vitesse Bonnet

Paul H

That is a rare item these days!

Some of the rusting to the top panel looks pretty deep on it, so not in that good a condition and will definitely need a bit of work, some of the welds around the front wings to the front panel look a bit dodgy too and not factory spot welds, it could have been made up of N.O.S. Panels and giving a coat of primer after?

I'm not convinced that type of Red Oxide Primer is factory, Factory Primer on replacement panels was a slightly different colour I reckon?

If so, there may be issues with lining up with the doors, a company based in Redditch called John Hills used to offer reconditioned bonnets in the 1980's, I once purchased a recon 13/60 Bonnet for my first Herald off them, the fit wasn't that good at all.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if it get up to 4 figure though   

I remember back in the mid 1980's purchasing a complete Herald 1200 Convertible off a guy in North London to convert my Vitesse saloon to a convertible, I think his name was Dave Jones.

He had a N.O.S Vitesse Bonnet stashed away in his Shed, no Idea if he's still around or what happened to it?

Gary

• Like 1

Given the problems I'm having with mine, I just might need one. If I could work out what the bodges are I'd be able to counter them, but a replacement may be the only way to go.

I'm watching an entire car locally, just in case... sadly the seller thinks that just because it's old and complete, it's worth the same as a fully assembled and resprayed concours Vitesse. 

280009427_1688244548185113_4839272483102027784_n.thumb.jpg.edc97149f8068b529e6d769e5e375007.jpg

On 19/07/2022 at 11:48, Gary Flinn said:

I remember back in the mid 1980's purchasing a complete Herald 1200 Convertible off a guy in North London to convert my Vitesse saloon to a convertible, I think his name was Dave Jones.

He had a N.O.S Vitesse Bonnet stashed away in his Shed, no Idea if he's still around or what happened to it?

Gary

There were 2 Dave Jones into Triumphs in North London in the 80’s that I can think of.

Both still about and still got Triumph connections.

I think the bonnet mentioned may still exist, though now in someone else’s garage in North London 

• Like 1

Hello All 

I have a couple perhaps not that good  but sound at a bit less than that! and even a fibre glass one that needs work (cheap!)

Plus the Memsahib says I need to sell things(I do not undersand that but she probably right again!!)

Roger

ps message me if you are looking for a Vitesse bonnet and we can talk and you can look and you do not like walk away(I am not desperate!)

12 hours ago, thescrapman said:

There were 2 Dave Jones into Triumphs in North London in the 80’s that I can think of.

Both still about and still got Triumph connections.

I think the bonnet mentioned may still exist, though now in someone else’s garage in North London 

I can remember travelling down with a mate towing a Trailer to fetch the Herald Convertible back, I paid £100 Cash!

Dave lived on the end of a Cul-de-sac somewhere near to the M1 on the West side, possibly Junction 2.

We had a puncture on the way back on the trailer, had no spare and had to go to a scrapyard near Bedford to get a spare Mini wheel for the trailer!

Good to know that Dave is still around and the Bonnet😁  

29 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

Roger - Better book Colin in for a few days during his round Britain tour. Don't think he will manage a bonnet as hand luggage though.

I think I need to book him in so he can pretend to be trawling the autojumble at Stafford and I can offload large amounts of my pre-enjoyed parts to him. No Vitesse bonnets, but a pretty rough Spitfire one available.

Got any sills? Need sills... and light tan door panels... and steel wheels are always good... overdrive solenoid... maybe a good front overrider... all from the box marked £1 though. That's the joy of autojumbling.

Will be in the Freelander though so can strap large things to the roof.

That surface rust is probably historical, though. I used to love the ads in 'Classic and Sportscar'... "the rust on this bonnet was caused when Juan Fangio accidentally spilled his tea down it at 1966 Le Mans and has been preserved ever since. The spotting on the lower front wing was from Stirling Moss' cheesburger and has also been preserved. We're only asking £******** for this slice of irreplaceable motoring history."

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Paul H said:

Didn’t @Gary Flinn suggest this wasn’t a NOS factory bonnet and could have been assembled with NOS panels which is not the same . 
Paul

Paul

It would need closer inspection to see if it was a genuine N.O.S. one, I know a Company called John Hills used to offer reconditioned bonnets in the 1980's, it could be one of these?

I know if I was spending over £2K on a single panel I would want to inspect it first, I hope it is a N.O.S. one for the new owner, it will be sure to fit properly then.

Gary 

• Like 1

In all honesty, I watched the last few seconds of the auction and couldn't believe what I was watching. I would want a full car for that price and in a half reasonable condition. Looking at the bid list, the winner came in from nowhere suggesting it was sniped at some really silly price.

Edited by Badwolf
Spellchecker incursion edit

35 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

In all honesty, I watched the last few seconds of the auction and couldn't believe what I was watching. I would want a full car for that price and in a half reasonable consisting. Looking at the bid list, the winner came in from nowhere suggesting it was sniped at some really silly price.

If someone is doing a Concours resto on a Vitesse and doesn't have a decent bonnet then it will save a lot of time in repairs and panels?

I wonder how much a new bonnet costs for a BMW 3 Series, probably more than £2K off BMW?

I have wondered in the past, just how many replacement panels are stored, where are they kept and how big is the storage facility. Same for replacement windscreens. It's not just like you dial in the bit you want and it appears like on Star Trek.